Rookie Move: Brought home sick chickens

Ok, need help.
I think I have an egg bound situation. Tight, swollen abdomen, drizzling a little fluid from the vent occasionally. Listless, and just standing around trance-like.
I'm researching how to handle the situation, but some first-hand advice would be greatly appreciated!
I'm sorry! Is it Nay?
Is she able to poop?
Bring her in.
IF she is still lethargic place her in a steamed up bathroom or on a towel covered heating pad set on low.
IF she is alert you can give her a soak in warm epsom salts to help sooth her and hopefully get things moving.

You do need to feel inside her vent -see if there is an egg in there - insert a gloved lubricated finger about 1-2".

Do your best to get her hydrated. Hydration is very important, don't worry about food unless she is willing to eat.
Offer her some calcium - you can give TUMS or 1/2tablet Caltrate.

Let me know how she is.

I'm sorry! Is it Nay?
Is she able to poop?
Bring her in.
IF she is still lethargic place her in a steamed up bathroom or on a towel covered heating pad set on low.
IF she is alert you can give her a soak in warm epsom salts to help sooth her and hopefully get things moving.

You do need to feel inside her vent -see if there is an egg in there - insert a gloved lubricated finger about 1-2".

Do your best to get her hydrated. Hydration is very important, don't worry about food unless she is willing to eat.
Offer her some calcium - you can give TUMS or 1/2tablet Caltrate.

Let me know how she is.

Yeah, its Nay.
I took action this afternoon before I saw your post. I gave her a long epsom salt soak and cleaned off her vent. I found some definite lash material. It was a solid chunk about the size of the end of my pinky finger at the last joint. Solid layered lash and totally clean this time with no poop mixed in. There was another piece a little bit smaller and layered with poop that I think had been on there a little longer.
I think the soak helped, but I didn't feel inside the vent (didn't know it was advisable at the time). I'm not sure if it was poop or something else, but I think she relieved some pressure somehow in the bath because I heard (and smelled) something and her abdomen felt a little less tight/bloated afterwards. She seemed to feel a little better after the soak and was back to milling around and eating shortly thereafter.

Today was day 3 of Tylan. Could this be her body trying to expel the built-up junk as a result of the antibiotics rather than an egg bound situation?
I watched several videos before going out to soak her and she wasn't showing all of the signs mentioned as typical for an egg bound hen... no tail down squatting or penguin walk.

I honestly don't know if she can poop. I'll know in the morning for sure. I didn't see her drink after the soak, but I did see her drinking earlier today. I also added a vitamin/electrolyte/probiotic supplement to their water yesterday.

Yeah, its Nay.
I took action this afternoon before I saw your post. I gave her a long epsom salt soak and cleaned off her vent. I found some definite lash material. It was a solid chunk about the size of the end of my pinky finger at the last joint. Solid layered lash and totally clean this time with no poop mixed in. There was another piece a little bit smaller and layered with poop that I think had been on there a little longer.
I think the soak helped, but I didn't feel inside the vent (didn't know it was advisable at the time). I'm not sure if it was poop or something else, but I think she relieved some pressure somehow in the bath because I heard (and smelled) something and her abdomen felt a little less tight/bloated afterwards. She seemed to feel a little better after the soak and was back to milling around and eating shortly thereafter.

Today was day 3 of Tylan. Could this be her body trying to expel the built-up junk as a result of the antibiotics rather than an egg bound situation?
I watched several videos before going out to soak her and she wasn't showing all of the signs mentioned as typical for an egg bound hen... no tail down squatting or penguin walk.

I honestly don't know if she can poop. I'll know in the morning for sure. I didn't see her drink after the soak, but I did see her drinking earlier today. I also added a vitamin/electrolyte/probiotic supplement to their water yesterday.
It sounds like you had this!
Unfortunately from your description, she's trying to pass lash material.

It sounds like you had this!
Unfortunately from your description, she's trying to pass lash material.
Does that work the same way as an egg blockage? As in, she can't poop until its out?
Do you think this is a result of the antibiotics? A sign that they are working, or a sign that its a whole lot worse than I knew?
I really hate the thought of loosing her now after all we've been through.

If she has lash material/lash egg in the oviduct and cannot pass it, it would work similar to being egg bound - blocking the oviduct, swelling, possibly prolapse, etc.

I have not idea if it's a sign of the antibiotics working or not. All you can do is monitor her and see how it goes.

Does that work the same way as an egg blockage? As in, she can't poop until its out?
Do you think this is a result of the antibiotics? A sign that they are working, or a sign that its a whole lot worse than I knew?
I really hate the thought of loosing her now after all we've been through.
Just wanted to say fingers are crossed for you and Nay Gizabelle :fl

Update: All's well (enough)

Nay is a fighter, I'll give her that. We got through the blockage and she seems to be feeling really good. She's still having to really put some effort into pooping, which leads me to believe there is more lash build-up in there disrupting things. There was a morning last week that I was certain I was going to have to ask my husband to do the thing that I don't think I could, and by that afternoon she was perky and foraging about the yard like there had never been a problem at all.
So, I have officially chucked all expectations for her and we're going with a "current quality of life" assessment as to her future. She may live another month or a year, but as long as she's comfortable I'll make sure she has a good life. I can't imagine that she'll ever lay, and that's fine. She CAN free-range everyday (as undisputed alpha hen, btw), take dust baths in the sun, hunt for bugs, and enjoy an overall pretty good existence for a chicken... and when the time comes, I'll make sure she doesn't have to suffer.
These past few days she has looked (outwardly) just as healthy as the other two girls, and even does the excited run/fly in the mornings when I let them out.

All three free range together during the day, but I still have the divider up in the coop, and they all go to their accustomed sides at "bedtime" in the evenings. I left the divider up for now since Red is molting and I didn't want to stress her, and because she's been a bit of a bully to poor Daisy.
Red has bowed to Nay's dominance though, and has even become her special friend. She stayed right with her when she was having those rough couple of days.

Daisy is looking better everyday. She's finally starting to show some of the weight gain, and she's much livelier in general. She is still sneezing though, even after the Tylan. I'm considering ordering some Baytril and giving that a shot. (I found the thread about Baytril sources... awesome resource!) One thing I was hoping for feedback on... it almost seems like she's staring to molt. I'm finding her pretty blonde feathers all over the coop everyday. She's certainly not old enough for a first molt though, any thoughts on this?

Thanks again to both of you for all the advice and support. :)

So, I have officially chucked all expectations for her and we're going with a "current quality of life" assessment as to her future. She may live another month or a year, but as long as she's comfortable I'll make sure she has a good life. I can't imagine that she'll ever lay, and that's fine. She CAN free-range everyday (as undisputed alpha hen, btw), take dust baths in the sun, hunt for bugs, and enjoy an overall pretty good existence for a chicken... and when the time comes, I'll make sure she doesn't have to suffer.
This!!! Sometimes, this is the place you need to be:hugs
Yes, she can do chicken things, she's ruling the roost - sometimes we have to say this is as good as it gets. Enjoy her your time with her, she will enjoy it too.

I'm sorry to hear that Daisy is still sneezing. She may have a virus and once warm weather comes her symptoms may subside.

As for molting. You are unsure of her age? I've had two 8-10month olds molt this year! So I'm not surprised that Daisy is molting if you are seeing lots of her feathers laying around.

Well, Its been a while, but as the story of these two ended today I figured I would update. I've seen other members mention that posters rarely post results, so here are mine:

Dasiy (the severely underweight BO mix) was doing wonderfully. She gained weight, FINALLY stopped sneezing, and was actually a pretty awesome little layer. About a month ago, I came home to find a trail of her feathers all the way from my backyard, across the street and into my neighbors backyard. I was heartbroken and on the warpath; she had been doing so well. This isn't the first time this guy's WOLF hybrids have gotten out and come onto our property to kill things. I demanded that what was left of her be returned (which it was) to be buried. We filed another complaint with animal control and set up the game camera to try to catch the next violation without the death of another animal, but so far, they have stayed away.

And today, NayNay.
Poor Nay, she never quite recovered from the lash situation. I was very hopeful as I hadn't had to soak her in a long time, and she was finally pooping normally. I had already decided that I would be her "hospice home" and as long as she was comfortable, she could just do her thing. It goes without saying, I think, that she never laid a single egg. I went out today and found her with a horrific prolapsed vent. I put her in the pen and came inside for a google sponsored crash course in prolapse repair. After getting back out there and cleaning her up to really see what what was going on, I decided it would be best to let her go. She had at least three inches of necrotic looking tissue hanging with a cauliflower (presumably lash) looking mass at the end. I didn't even know where to begin to help her. My husband put her down for me and buried her beside Dasiy.

Take away from this experience: I'm glad I did it. These two got to live good (albeit short) lives with daily freedom to go and forage wherever they wanted. They never lacked for food or clean water, or a dry secure place to sleep at night. It was a heck of a lot better than where they came from.
As for me, I really feel that it made me a better caregiver. I learned a lot about how to read them, treat them, and when to just accept that I've done all I can and to just step back and see what happens. I also have a pretty well stocked chicken medicine cabinet now.

@Wyorp Rock and @Cragg Klefor, Thank you both for your guidance and support.

Well, Its been a while, but as the story of these two ended today I figured I would update. I've seen other members mention that posters rarely post results, so here are mine:

Dasiy (the severely underweight BO mix) was doing wonderfully. She gained weight, FINALLY stopped sneezing, and was actually a pretty awesome little layer. About a month ago, I came home to find a trail of her feathers all the way from my backyard, across the street and into my neighbors backyard. I was heartbroken and on the warpath; she had been doing so well. This isn't the first time this guy's WOLF hybrids have gotten out and come onto our property to kill things. I demanded that what was left of her be returned (which it was) to be buried. We filed another complaint with animal control and set up the game camera to try to catch the next violation without the death of another animal, but so far, they have stayed away.

And today, NayNay.
Poor Nay, she never quite recovered from the lash situation. I was very hopeful as I hadn't had to soak her in a long time, and she was finally pooping normally. I had already decided that I would be her "hospice home" and as long as she was comfortable, she could just do her thing. It goes without saying, I think, that she never laid a single egg. I went out today and found her with a horrific prolapsed vent. I put her in the pen and came inside for a google sponsored crash course in prolapse repair. After getting back out there and cleaning her up to really see what what was going on, I decided it would be best to let her go. She had at least three inches of necrotic looking tissue hanging with a cauliflower (presumably lash) looking mass at the end. I didn't even know where to begin to help her. My husband put her down for me and buried her beside Dasiy.

Take away from this experience: I'm glad I did it. These two got to live good (albeit short) lives with daily freedom to go and forage wherever they wanted. They never lacked for food or clean water, or a dry secure place to sleep at night. It was a heck of a lot better than where they came from.
As for me, I really feel that it made me a better caregiver. I learned a lot about how to read them, treat them, and when to just accept that I've done all I can and to just step back and see what happens. I also have a pretty well stocked chicken medicine cabinet now.

@Wyorp Rock and @Cragg Klefor, Thank you both for your guidance and support.

:hugs I'm so sorry to hear about Daisy and NayNay. I know these ladies must have enjoyed living with you. You took them in and gave them a new outlook on life. Both had problems and you didn't give up.

I do want to thank you for coming back and giving us an update. Often we are left hanging wonder what happened. Even though the ending is sad, there is a lot to learn from your thread.

Back
Top Bottom