Room and board for my chickens?

Terrie Mac

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 17, 2011
I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this, please direct me to the right place if not.

I waited almost 40 years to get chickens and I Iove them as much as my dogs. We are moving and our home sold faster than planned and haven't found our next home yet.

Worst case scenario is to re-home my (8) chickens :( The best case scenario is to find someone to take care of them temporarily.

I live in the SF East Bay--any suggestions, help out there?

Terrie

Go to your state thread on the "Where am I, where are you" forum here on BYC. You may be able to find someone to watch them. Friends or family that are willing to keep them may help.

Sorry, I've been there. We got 3 weeks notice of an out of state transfer back in June. We had 5 small dogs at the time and couldn't find a place to rent to save our lives. We were to the point that hubby was going to come up and stay in a hotel. We only found a place to live 1.5 weeks before we moved, sight unseen. I ended up selling/giving away my birds. 5 hens, 2 ducks and 11 ducklings. I was very sad especially since we ended up finding a place that didn't care that we had birds but I didn't want to get down to the wire and not have homes for them.

But, I was able to find some nice birds once we got here. I've had 2 broodys hatch out ducklings and I have a hen that is due to hatch out some babies any day now. So, even if you do have to get rid of them, you will be able to find more.

Check a site called care.com. They offer pet sitting as well as child care services. You can place an ad, maybe find someone. The hardest part is biosecurity. Not many people would be willing to allow new birds onto their property as they may have diseases that are not present. If you can find someone with a large amount of land, and either extra buildings or if you can move your coop, you may be okay.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom