Roos I assume? And Q's on integrating them and egg production...

fastEddie

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 10, 2009
First the pic - am I right in assuming the these two Buckeyes with big tail feathers are roos? The one in the middle looking away is the third that I'm fairly confident is a hen.
100210001.jpg

Secondly, since introducing these 3 Buckeyes (initially from a built-in pen in the coop and now fully integrated) our egg production from our other 10 ladies has dropped from 6-7/day on average to probably 2/day. Now I'm pretty sure our 3 Silver Laced Wyandotte's are molting but our other 3 Buffs and 4 Easter Eggers appear to be fine.

Is some production drop normal when integrating new birds? Or is it due more to 2 young roos being loose with the ladies? I haven't noticed any friskiness, actually the ladies are doing a good job of letting the 2 guys know where they rank in the pecking order - at the bottom!
tongue.png

I can see the saddle feathers on the roo to the left, but on the other two, i can't see the details well enough to say.

In regard to your egg production, you may have more molting than you think. Many of my girls just went through a molt, but you couldn't tell it very easily just by looking at them. Maybe it was a "soft" molt? I'm not sure. But in any case, i wouldn't expect the addition of the roosters to affect egg production that much, especially if the girls aren't afraid of them.

The second alleged roo looks identical to the one on the left so I'm confident if lefty above is a roo then so is blurred righty. Maybe I'll try to get a better pic of them.

As far as egg production (my bigger concern) - I've got a light on a timer in the coop so I'm pretty sure it isn't the shorter days.... I suppose others could be molting as well but I sure haven't seen any evidence.

Hmm....
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom