Roos or Pullets? Please help me try to figure it out. Pics included.

carolaur

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 27, 2009
North Florida
I have recently gone through the waiting and the confirmation of rooster characteristics that, especially in the easter eggers, was a wait for saddle feathers to be sure. The ee's that turned out to be roos had much more red in their rose comb, redder and wider than the ee pullet in your picture. I think they are all pullets. Buff Orpington pullets are a buttery yellow with white legs. I had one that looked like it had pale yellow legs but they are white now.

nyice

Songster
10 Years
Jun 20, 2009
LI, New York
Quote:Aw I love her eyes too and those ears! Love the Catahoula markings too. So pretty!

Me and the DH have a pit mix who is a little over a year. He helped build the coop also by picking up wood scraps then running under the bushes with them.

Last edited:

tiffanyh

Songster
12 Years
Apr 8, 2007
Connecticut
Buffs tend to get good size combs as pullets in my experience.

But the last couple/few look like possible to me, including that dark blue with black feet one

nyice

Songster
10 Years
Jun 20, 2009
LI, New York
Quote:I will definately be posting more pics in a few weeks. Sounds promising that most people on her are pointing to mostly pullets. I am crossing my fingers that it's true. By next week 6 will be going to my sisters house if her coop is done and I didn't want either of us ending up with all roos. I'm not going to lie. I have no idea how to tell. I thought that part would be easier.

nyice

Songster
10 Years
Jun 20, 2009
LI, New York

OK, so I looked at my calendar and realized that my chicks are actually 7 1/2 weeks old. They will be 8 weeks next wednesday.

Time flew by quick. I can't believe I made that mistake.
Does this change any answers?

Laskaland

ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn
11 Years
Aug 2, 2008
Nebraska
Quote:I would lean the same way. May also be just a Rhode Island or New Hampshire Red. In any event, they will be good layers- and yes they are pullets. The only one that might be a roo is that second autralorp. The bottom white one looks like a girl at this point. Will be interesting to see how they turn out

Christina

nyice

Songster
10 Years
Jun 20, 2009
LI, New York
I figured I would update everyone on the status of my chicks/now pullets.

All girls!!!
I don't know how we pulled that off but they are. I am still not sure what type all of them are but here are the updated pictures of the six I kept. (The other six are w/ my sister) I will try to get her to give me updated pictures.

Ginger - Was pic #7 in first post. Orphington or Red Star?

Nilla - White Cochin - Was pic # 3 in first post.

Omelet - Silver laced Cochin - Was Pic # 1 in first post.

Bella - Was Pic # 6 in first post. Austalorp or Jersey Giant?

Wednesday - Black Star - Was pic # 10 in first post.

Clucky - Black Cochin - Was pic #2 in first post.

Last edited:

nyice

Songster
10 Years
Jun 20, 2009
LI, New York
These pictures may be about a month old but this is the other half. (my sisters flock)

Partridge Cochin - Was pic #4 in first post

Black Australorp or Jersey Giant? Was pic # 5 in first post.

"The Twins" - Red Stars - Were pics # 8 and 9 in first post.

Lola - Black Star - Was pic # 11 in first post.

Little - White Leghorn or California Leghorn? Was pic #12 in first post.

This would be the most recent. Look at Little's Comb?

Top Bottom