Roos or Pullets?

They could totally be mixed if they didn't come from a hatchery. I only said PR because I assumed they came from a hatchery and that's what they resemble the most. If they are from a private seller, they are likely mixes.

I agree not Orpingtons!😉 These were my buffs at about 13 weeks!😉
DE45710E-0256-42EF-AB97-849477E66F5F.jpeg
DF343684-AA6E-4839-A098-921A699F8B20.jpeg

They were from a private seller. What does hatchery quality mean?
We use the term hatchery quality to explain small faults. For instance, quite a few hatchery Wyandottes have single combs. They are supposed to have rose combs. Hatcheries breed for quantity over quality. Therefore, undesirable traits pop up quite often. We also use that term to explain a bird that just doesn't quite fit their breed's SOP. (standard of perfection) This could include conformation, markings, comb type/structure, and sparse feathering in feather footed breeds.

We use the term hatchery quality to explain small faults. For instance, quite a few hatchery Wyandottes have single combs. They are supposed to have rose combs. Hatcheries breed for quantity over quality. Therefore, undesirable traits pop up quite often. We also use that term to explain a bird that just doesn't quite fit their breed's SOP. (standard of perfection) This could include conformation, markings, comb type/structure, and sparse feathering in feather footed breeds.
Thanks so much for explaining! I appreciate it!

I

One last question (for now 🤣) is it just the bigger red comb on the splash that lets you know he’s a rooster? What else are you looking at? Thanks for helping us learn!

One last question (for now 🤣) is it just the bigger red comb on the splash that lets you know he’s a rooster? What else are you looking at? Thanks for helping us learn!
Sure is! Soon (usually around 12 weeks) you should see male specific saddle feathers start coming in as well.

Back
Top Bottom