Roos

ShawnaLeigh

Chirping
May 21, 2019
I am removing my two roosters from my flock. They have been with them since chicks. They are now fighting each other for dominance and disrupting my hens. I have 35 hens and the Roos are RIR. I am making two different areas for the two Roos so they can see the hens but not get to them anymore. My question is will that be an even more disruption to my hens or should I just remove them from the property completely? I have tried unsuccessfully to find them a home.

I am removing my two roosters from my flock. They have been with them since chicks. They are now fighting each other for dominance and disrupting my hens. I have 35 hens and the Roos are RIR. I am making two different areas for the two Roos so they can see the hens but not get to them anymore. My question is will that be an even more disruption to my hens or should I just remove them from the property completely? I have tried unsuccessfully to find them a home.
Why not eat them?

Two options I see:

1. Eat them - Probably the easier of the two options
2. Bachelor flock - their own coop without any girls in sight. Take away the girls and the hormone levels go way down, and suddenly all is well with the boys. Worked for mine.

Two options I see:

1. Eat them - Probably the easier of the two options
2. Bachelor flock - their own coop without any girls in sight. Take away the girls and the hormone levels go way down, and suddenly all is well with the boys. Worked for mine.
Well I am one of those people that can’t eat the chickens. I know, I know but that’s just me. I have an area and 2 extra small coops that I can separate them and house them separate across the yard from each other to prevent fighting but my concern was will it affect the hens if they can see the roosters still?

I have a bachelor pen with currently about 20 roosters in it. In fact I added three squabbling juveniles (more like opened the door and hurled their nasty bums inside and slammed the door after them with orders to settle it or kill one another I was fine with either outcome)this evening.

My coop is an old shed that we have partitioned into two rooms. A screen door separates the rooms, the smaller room going to the bachelors and the larger is the main coop. The hens and breeding roosters are in full view of the bachelors in both the coop and the run. The breeding roosters do exchange attitudes with the bachelors through the wire but nothing extreme. The bachelors do squabble with one another until they get their pecking order worked out but all in all separating the bachelors has helped their attitudes a lot and the hens appreciate not having the horny juveniles pestering them constantly.

IMHO, keeping them 'out of sight' of one another is overstated and in my case almost impossible to achieve given my coop layout.

will it affect the hens if they can see the roosters still?
The hens will be just fine without the roosters. Happier probably.
(more like opened the door and hurled their nasty bums inside and slammed the door after them with orders to settle it or kill one another I was fine with either outcome)
:lau :lau
My coop is an old shed that we have partitioned into two rooms. A screen door separates the rooms, the smaller room going to the bachelors and the larger is the main coop. The hens and breeding roosters are in full view of the bachelors in both the coop and the run. The breeding roosters do exchange attitudes with the bachelors through the wire but nothing extreme.
Hopefully I didn't break the quotes.
But, my layout is almost exactly like yours. My partition is still siding for the bottom half, and the top half is chicken wire. The door is all chicken wire but I set up a board so that they couldn't fight through the chicken wire. I don't want bloody combs. But they are out of sight at ground level, and that's worked well enough for me. The boys can stand on the opposite roosts and crow at each other, but that's pretty much it.

I've kept bachelor groups of cockerels in runs within the range area of hens with few/no issues. I've also had cockerel groups out of sight of any hens with a few individuals who have tried to kill one another.

It's going to depend on the personalities of your cockerels. It may work or it may not, whether or not there are hens around. It may work for now but not next spring. I'm sorry I can't be of much help. All you can do is separate them and see how it works out.

Back
Top Bottom