Rooser "readiness" & Egg laying

ADozenGirlz

The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png
10 Years
Oct 18, 2009
Connecticut
I am wondering whether there is any correlation between a rooster beginning to mount chickens (at 16 weeks old) and hen readiness to lay eggs? I have a bantam Barred Rock Rooster (whose name is Petunia, b/c she was supposed to be a female!) several Barred Rocks, several Easter Eggers, a splash Silkie bantam, a white Silkie bantam, an Australorp and an Orpington. They were all hatched together and I got them at 3 days old. Petunia made a gawky effort to mount Esther yesterday, which was unsuccessful and had to have hurt his Rooster pride, I imagine.
We have been lighting the coop a few extra hours in the morning so that they have 12-13 hours of daylight in hopes that they will begin to lay before Ol' Man Winter arrives.

Does anyone know or have an opinion as to whether Petunia's friskiness could be a sign that her peers are reaching egg-laying maturity as well?
Thanks!

My White Rock rooster and pullets are all the same age, around 14 weeks old now. The rooster has just recently started to mate with the girls, and he's pretty serious about it too. They are also not mating very willingly, he pretty much sneaks up behind them, catches them off guard and then forces them while they scream bloody murder, poor things. At only 14 weeks old, my girls aren't ready to lay eggs yet. I think 16 weeks is too young as well unless the hen is a hybrid layer. Our roosters are robbing the cradle, lecherous things!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom