Roost and dropping boards??

Dixiedoodle

Songster
12 Years
Apr 14, 2007
Your opinions please! I have been looking around my property for things I can use in my coop.. On the 10' wall will be the roost and centered under that I want a droppings board.. I have a ten foot section of vinyl coated closet shelving that is 18" wide. I want to use this shelving for the dropping board and place newspaper or cardboard on it, sprinkled with a few shavings to help catch the poo.....will it work??? Pros and cons, please... Dixie

There are actually alot of posts on this in this section...
wink.png

Dawn

As long as whatever you're putting on the wire shelving is heavy/secure enough not to get flapped off or otherewise dislodged, it sounds to me like it should work ok as long as you replace the covering material often enough.

let us know how it works,

Pat

Sounds perfect!

I have a similar set up as to a dropping board. I didn't bother to use wire, or screen over it. It just sits under the roost about 10-12". I put a small lip around the edges of the board with a piece of 1"x1" so the shavings stay in place.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m141/12GAGuy/chiken coop/100_0419.jpg

The birds don't sit on it at all. I simply keep it covered in shavings, and scoop the poop every day. A sprinkle of fresh shavings every so often keep it clean. The poop never even reaches the surface of the dropping board. Mine is covered in a easily scrapable matierial (formica), so when the serious clean up time comes, it will be easy to clean.

I use a few pallets as dropping boards. I have them stacked on top of each other. Once a year I pull them out and knock the poo off into the garden. If it starts to smell I will put a few cups of stall dry on top. I works for me and they were just laying around.

Back
Top Bottom