Roost and Mites

We are rebuilding and fighting a retched infestation of mites. They hide at the end of the roost bars (in under and at the ends where it attaches to the wall).
I would love tips, photos or links of your roost bars that inhibit these rotten bloodsuckers. We need a new plan. I am Painting and sanding all wood today.
While it is true that Permethrin still works it is getting harder to get hold of in the EU and like with many chemicals (Ivermectin for example) over use will eventually lead to mites developing a resistance.
I use this.
external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpeg

No, I'm not mad. Many other experienced chicken keepers use a blow torch as well.
Yes, it takes a bit of practice but if you make your roost bars so they sit in a socket and are removable then you can remove the roost bars and apply the blue tip of the flame which is around 400 degrees centigrade to the ends of the bars and once you have gained some confidence with the blow torch to the roost bar sockets.
Nothing withstands 400 degrees centigrade. It not only kills the mites, but also their eggs which chemical sprays don't usually.

While you are rebuilding (?) consider designing your coop so that the roost bar ends are located outside the coop itself. Red mite do not like sunlight. Or, build you coop so that everything inside is removable.
The plastic rectangles you can see in the first picture below are covers for the roost bar ends. If necessary the entire roost bar can be withdrawn through the coop.
P8081092 (Large).JPG

This picture shows a removable nest box and roost bare unit.
P4120191 (Large).JPG

To learn a bit more about using a blow torch for eliminating pests and parasites a good place to start is with net pages on bee keeping. Bee keepers have been using blow torches to clean hives for many years.

The current issue is they hide up against the wall where the roost are attached. I find them there in piles that fall out of the wall like water in flowing disgusting swells of blood filled bodies. YUMM RED MITES!!!
This almost sounds as if your coop has insulation?

To get rid of red poultry mites I would proceed as follows:

Clean out your entire coop including nestboxes, feeders, water dispensers etc. thoroughly and burn the entire bedding immediately. Soak all the mobile stuff in vinegar essence overnight, rinse and let dry for several days in the sun.

Get a handy little gas burner and kill the mites by flaming along and underneath the roosts, corners and crevices etc. Don't forget the ceiling, as often the mites will accumulate there too and will escape peoples notice.
In case your coop has a wooden floor: lift it up and inspect underneath too, and don't forget the roof surfaces, the mites will hide underneath the bituminous roofing felt or similar roofing, they even hide underneath the door handles etc.

Get some doublesided adhesive tape and wrap it tightly around the roosts where they meet the coop walls. In doing so, any mite that tries to get to the roosting chickens will stick to the tape, as well as those on the chicks when trying to go back and hide in the crevices of the coop after their meal.
I got rid of them real quick remodeling the roosts: Detaching them from the walls by mounting them on big long screws serving as legs that I stood in jars filled with oil.

I might still have the drawing somewhere...

Never use straw, as often you will infest a formerly clean coop with "new straw", since mites love to live undetected in the hollow stems and their population will explode!

As a last resort: Burn the old coop and build a new one somewhere as far away from the old infested coop as possible.

ETA: Blow torch works wonders, but always have some waterfilled buckets at hand, just in case you go overboard and might need to extinguish the flames. (happened to me) :D

This is the way I remodeled the roosting bars:

The construction sits on top of the poop board.

20220505_000407~2.jpg

None of the chicken should be able to connect with the coop walls while sitting on the roosts.

Last edited:
This almost sounds as if your coop has insulation?

To get rid of red poultry mites I would proceed as follows:

Clean out your entire coop including nestboxes, feeders, water dispensers etc. thoroughly and burn the entire bedding immediately. Soak all the mobile stuff in vinegar essence overnight, rinse and let dry for several days in the sun.

Get a handy little gas burner and kill the mites by flaming along and underneath the roosts, corners and crevices etc. Don't forget the ceiling, as often the mites will accumulate there too and will escape peoples notice.
In case your coop has a wooden floor: lift it up and inspect underneath too, and don't forget the roof surfaces, the mites will hide underneath the bituminous roofing felt or similar roofing, they even hide underneath the door handles etc.

Get some doublesided adhesive tape and wrap it tightly around the roosts where they meet the coop walls. In doing so, any mite that tries to get to the roosting chickens will stick to the tape, as well as those on the chicks when trying to go back and hide in the crevices of the coop after their meal.
I got rid of them real quick remodeling the roosts: Detaching them from the walls by mounting them on big long screws serving as legs that I stood in jars filled with oil.

I might still have the drawing somewhere...

Never use straw, as often you will infest a formerly clean coop with "new straw", since mites love to live undetected in the hollow stems and their population will explode!

As a last resort: Burn the old coop and build a new one somewhere as far away from the old infested coop as possible.

ETA: Blow torch works wonders, but always have some waterfilled buckets at hand, just in case you go overboard and might need to extinguish the flames. (happened to me) :D
Ahh finally the blow torch 🔥 Yes!
I am hot on your heals and want some double sided tape!

We have no insulation but I have been getting straw from my farmer. I am pretty sure the mites were free🤪

I have new paint and new hens. Last solution is caulking and those roosting bars. I like your idea. I will get my husband on it tonight.

I got 4 new hens for Mother’s Day!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    741.5 KB · Views: 7
While it is true that Permethrin still works it is getting harder to get hold of in the EU and like with many chemicals (Ivermectin for example) over use will eventually lead to mites developing a resistance.
I use this.
View attachment 3092158
No, I'm not mad. Many other experienced chicken keepers use a blow torch as well.
Yes, it takes a bit of practice but if you make your roost bars so they sit in a socket and are removable then you can remove the roost bars and apply the blue tip of the flame which is around 400 degrees centigrade to the ends of the bars and once you have gained some confidence with the blow torch to the roost bar sockets.
Nothing withstands 400 degrees centigrade. It not only kills the mites, but also their eggs which chemical sprays don't usually.

While you are rebuilding (?) consider designing your coop so that the roost bar ends are located outside the coop itself. Red mite do not like sunlight. Or, build you coop so that everything inside is removable.
The plastic rectangles you can see in the first picture below are covers for the roost bar ends. If necessary the entire roost bar can be withdrawn through the coop.
View attachment 3092177
This picture shows a removable nest box and roost bare unit.
View attachment 3092176
To learn a bit more about using a blow torch for eliminating pests and parasites a good place to start is with net pages on bee keeping. Bee keepers have been using blow torches to clean hives for many years.
Thank you! Yes all things in our coop are removable. The biggest hiding place has been the roost holder on the wall.
So now that there is a fresh coat of paint tomorrow I will caulk all the cracks and buy double sided tape.

I got some horse spray which is organic and uses no chemicals.

My son has a small cooking torch. We have bare bars so I have burnt them ( the mites) before. It just was not enough.

I am starting fresh. De-wormed and oiled and sprayed the last week while they were in our second house.

Once I get them back in “ the big house” I will torch the other one and clean it with bleach too. Last summer I used mite bombs when it got really bad.

I want to avoid tgat. After over 10 years of having hens I have had a hard last 2 years. I am ready for healthy hens thst lay.

So the coop is painted and I still am baffled at how to put in roosts tgat avoid my original problem.

He is a photo I am open to suggestions. The best box area is at the back. There is enough room for 8 birds (on my old roosting system).

Attachments

• 1FBDCBD9-7C83-44EE-85D3-4FD03120406B.jpeg
    1FBDCBD9-7C83-44EE-85D3-4FD03120406B.jpeg
    494 KB · Views: 11
Fire and German ingenuity. Weeds and roosts done.

Attachments

• C95F6284-4971-4A25-9868-10C3FABB65FE.jpeg
    C95F6284-4971-4A25-9868-10C3FABB65FE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 23B6796B-2208-496E-B3D4-189A645DBF58.jpeg
    23B6796B-2208-496E-B3D4-189A645DBF58.jpeg
    926.8 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom