Roost and nesting box height for bantams

chicChickChick

Songster
8 Years
Apr 21, 2015
Does anyone have an idea about how high the roost and nesting box can be and still be easy for the bantams to access?

This is my first year venturing outside the standard size girls, and we’re expending from 4 hens to 22, so we’re doing a total coop rebuild.

TIA

Gratuitous fluff pictures for fun.
802EF27E-73EE-4EB2-8E70-47C7AFB7B4AD.jpeg
CCD7A9A0-D0DA-47AB-B661-C2077031D580.jpeg
CCD7A9A0-D0DA-47AB-B661-C2077031D580.jpeg

My banties like to fly up and sit in the eaves of my coop some of the time. My nesting boxes have a ramp about three feet high so I can comfortably reach inside without bending and the birds do just fine. I use old ladders as roosts and as long as the girls can hop each step they can get anywhere they want regardless of size. I will say that bantams easily fly four or more feet and in the warmer months like to roost on top of my widows panes that are hinged and pull open inside like a shutter. Those are about 6 feet high.

Some bantams cannot fly, like Silkies. But regular bantams can fly better than full-sized fowl chickens. If you want to use ramps or ladders you can but the bantams should not need them. If they want to get there they will fly.

Back
Top Bottom