Roost and nesting boxes

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mscoloradochick, Oct 11, 2013.

1. mscoloradochick

mscoloradochick Just Hatched

Oct 7, 2013
    Arvada, CO
    Hi there! My husband and I are in the process of turning a doghouse into a coop. Need to finish the window (currently only two drilled out holes) add latches and fully close the gaps in the nesting box lid.

My four birds are currently staying in there but I don't believe they are using the roosts. Is the front one too low? In the picture showing them, the opening to the nesting box is on the left, right at roost level. Unfortunately some are sleeping (and pooping) in them. Should I close them off at night? Any more advice or insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

[​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  2. martinnoah

martinnoah Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2012
    NS Canada
    yes i think that you should close the boxs off. that way it's sleep on the floor or roost[​IMG]. we use nets in my coop and it works great

3. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    It is possible they are not liking the low roost, you could raised it up more or just remove it altogether if the higher one is long enough to hold all 4 birds. As for them sleeping in the nesting boxes, you could at night remove them and put them on the roost. By doing this a few times they should get the hang of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by