Roost bar redo question

kgm2431

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2020
I currently have 2x2 6' long parallel roosting bars which have worked fine as my hens were small and it was the spring/summer. Now that they are full grown and colder temps arriving I was thinking of swapping out to 2x4 for better stability and keeping feet warm in the winter. Additionally, thinking of a roost bar in the run so in the winter they can go outside and stay off ground .Should I swap out or should I leave it alone? Do they roost in the run?
Thanks

They'd probably appreciate the wider roost in the coop with their big feet.

I put some wide branches for roosts in the run, one is about 2 ft off the ground and they use it quite a lot. I have a higher one too but I've never seen them use that one.

I currently have 2x2 6' long parallel roosting bars which have worked fine as my hens were small and it was the spring/summer. Now that they are full grown and colder temps arriving I was thinking of swapping out to 2x4 for better stability and keeping feet warm in the winter. Additionally, thinking of a roost bar in the run so in the winter they can go outside and stay off ground .
Thanks
Sounds like a good plan to me!
I have several roosts and a bench and a couple old chair frames out in the run,
they love them all.

Back
Top Bottom