Roost bars and nesting box too close?

Janelyn

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 2, 2013
Atwater California
My chickens live in a 400 sq ft run. Everything has been going great in the egg laying department for a couple months. Then a week ago I decided, since it will be getting cold soon, to start the hens roosting in an area that would be easy to keep warm. In my case, it is the same area the nesting boxes are in because I can shut the door. Since that day, I am getting broken eggs under the roosting bars almost like a couple of them had eggs while sitting on the bar.

I definitely did something wrong and appreciate your advise.

Janelyn

I have not turned on the heat yet, just preparing for winter. I live in central california and it gets down to the 30's a few times but mostly nighttime is 40's.

I just started with my chickens this March so lots of new things.

Oh I hope it's not necessary to heat the coop! I live in NY state, and we go down into the teens and occasionally dip under 0, and I had no intention of heating my coop. Weathering it yes, and some type of insulation as we approach winter, but how can I heat a coop far from the house? I'm not running extension cords lol!
You have a really nice coop! Ours is small-I hope not too small!

It is unnecessary to heat your coop but there is a chance that you will be dealing with frozen combs and the occasional frost bit toe even with a heated coop. Make sure that you have roost poles that help keep the hens toes covered or tucked up in among their plumage while they sleep and that your chickens' quarters are neither drafty nor damp.

Do remember that no draft or poor ventilation can often result in dampness so its a balancing act. Both drafts and dampness hasten heat loss from combs and tootsies. The perfect storm of either one or both will result in frost bite, even in the deep South. The way commercial producers handle it in adult flocks is to be sure there are enough birds housed in the quarters to keep everyone toasty warm and thus actively growing or laying. Smaller coops allow the chickens to create their own heat source. Young chicks of course need extra warmth.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom