Roost bars and poop boards

I'll post a picture of mine too.
IMG_0864.JPG

Here is my setup :) The roost bars are in 3 sections and sit on top of the poop board for easy removal and cleaning. The nest boxes sit under the poop board on the right and if we ever get someone to go broody🤞, we will set her up under the poop board on the left.
View attachment 3119729View attachment 3119731
How high are the roosting bar set-ups from the floor? Assuming they fly up to it?

I would like to see your roost bar’s and poop board setups. I am in the middle of a build and would like some different ideas to figure out how I want to incorporate my roost bars and poop boards. Thank You for your time and help.
Mark
Here's mine. My roosting bars are 8-10 inches apart, but they are in a rectangular frame that slides in like a shelf, and the outer frame in effect creates more roosts that are closer together. I stressed about this-but in the end it didn't matter. Under it I have a layer of chicken wire to keep them from falling/jumping onto their poop trays. Poop trays are backing sheets from Costco. Roosts are 10 feet long times 2. Roosting bars are a good 4.5 feet off the ground, it's not a problem. (this pic is with night sight, shot at dusk to figure out where everyone is sleeping)

PXL_20220623_033803388.NIGHT.jpg

I’m curious how the chickens manage the front edge. Do they roost along that edge too and then poop on the floor and annihilate our efforts to keep the floor clean-er with poop boards? 😂
I have one hen who always roosts on the front edge of the poop board. Luckily, she is properly orientated for poop landing on the board, not the floor ;).

Here's mine. My roosting bars are 8-10 inches apart, but they are in a rectangular frame that slides in like a shelf, and the outer frame in effect creates more roosts that are closer together. I stressed about this-but in the end it didn't matter. Under it I have a layer of chicken wire to keep them from falling/jumping onto their poop trays. Poop trays are backing sheets from Costco. Roosts are 10 feet long times 2. Roosting bars are a good 4.5 feet off the ground, it's not a problem. (this pic is with night sight, shot at dusk to figure out where everyone is sleeping)

View attachment 3195496
Random question! I see you have a xylophone under your baking sheet poop boards (great idea, btw!), do you notice if your chickens ever use it? I am always looking for boredom busters, and so far, all other attempts at toys have been disinterestedly shunned 🤷‍♀️

Random question! I see you have a xylophone under your baking sheet poop boards (great idea, btw!), do you notice if your chickens ever use it? I am always looking for boredom busters, and so far, all other attempts at toys have been disinterestedly shunned 🤷‍♀️
We tried giving our flock a xylophone. They pecked it once😕

You might try plastic pop bottles with different amounts of water.

My chickens pecked at those for quite awhile. It seemed to be for the tones but I don't know. They were pretty young at the time so it might just have been chicks exploring.

Back
Top Bottom