Roost Bars

Sahlin Farm

Hatching
Jan 6, 2021
Can roost bars be made out of regular 2 x 4's and sanded down on edges? I'm reading conflicting info on how wide the top should be for their feet. Also, should the wood be treated with anything special?

We had a problem using the side side up. It caused a bad breast blister on our large Jersey Giant. The breast blister was caused by the friction of the keel bone on the wide roost. We turned the 2x4s to the narrow side, no problems since. We never noticed a problem with the other birds, but a few breeds are really large and heavy, like the Jersey giants, so for those large breeds, I would avoid a wide roost.

I have old wooden closet rods (1 1/4" dia) and cut tree branches of roughly the same size in my coop. They roost on them and on the 2x4 rafters and on the wire soffets under the eaves. No rhyme or reason as to which and no foot problems from any

Do folks sand the edges of their 2x4s? (Assuming issues with splinters if you don’t?)

You don’t need to sand the whole thing, depends on the quality. I slip a cotton sock on my hand and run it over the surface. I spot sand any places the sock snags 👍🏻 Using a low count gritty sandpaper gets the job done faster too. Like 80 grit.

Do folks sand the edges of their 2x4s? (Assuming issues with splinters if you don’t?)
Most 2x4's already have fairly rounded edges.
Depends on the quality of lumber you are buying.
Some are raggedy, some are smooth.

You don’t need to sand the whole thing, depends on the quality. I slip a cotton sock on my hand and run it over the surface. I spot sand any places the sock snags 👍🏻 Using a low count gritty sandpaper gets the job done faster too. Like 80 grit.
Ditto Dat!

Back
Top Bottom