Roost design/diameter/width

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Manok-Tao, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Manok-Tao

Manok-Tao Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2010
    W-S NC
    Building new coop. What is the prefered material, diameter. width of roost material?
    Starting with 4 month old pullets, does/should roost material change as they become adult hens?
    John

2. wing it

wing it Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    long island
    I use a 2x4 on the flat, so they can stand on the 4 side. This gives them plenty of room.

3. jrleader99

jrleader99 Chillin' With My Peeps

I use cut trees and branches that are about 2-4 inches in diameter.

4. Manok-Tao

Jan 6, 2010
    W-S NC
    Thought the roost should have been round so they can grasp it, looking at many pixs in the coop design pages I see that's not the case, seems they prefer to stand flat footed then grasp a rounded roost. I do like the idea of using various diameter tree branches, would flattening them out help?

5. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    You don't need to do anything to a tree branch. At four months, you shouldn't have to change roosts, they will not get that much bigger. Diameter would be big enough that they can't wrap their feet around it.

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I have one big wide branch, 2x4s, and 2x3s....You might consider providing a variety of roosts for them... [​IMG]

7. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    I dont thing it matters if its round or flat. Here in the north east flat is probably a little better as far as sitting on their feet to keep warm but mine prefer to roost on top of a pallet wall, probably too thin, but its what they prefer. They still have the 2x4 on the wall but its only 2 feet off the floor when they were young, they use that one mostly during the day I find.

8. Manok-Tao

Jan 6, 2010
    W-S NC
    Variety, that's what I'll do. Figure out what they like and go that direction.
    Ground finally thawed, got posts set in concrete finally I can start construction:lol:

9. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    I have 3" diameter trees that I cut down in the run and I have 2x4's laid flat in the coop.

10. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

I use 2" x 2" (actually measure 1 3/4x 1 3/4). They seem to get use to whatever you have around. I've seen sticks, boards, etc and they all seem to adapt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by