Roost design

Pics
Should I just let them sort it out or possibly raise the lower bar to be the same height as the other
(In line w two answers before this one, yes, we tend to overthink their lives, you can let them be)

The downside is if a hen is feeling poorly or is lower on the pecking order she will be the one kicked out and then her status will be even lower going forward because the other hens who are mid-range on the pecking order will want it really clear she is below them.

The lower bar seems to me to be a step on the way to the roost. Can you lower the top one instead? Or make the top tier have more space (extra bar) without removing the lower one as a step ?

Lowering the top bar would also stop any draft from that window hitting them in the neck.

(In line w two answers before this one, yes, we tend to overthink their lives, you can let them be)

The downside is if a hen is feeling poorly or is lower on the pecking order she will be the one kicked out and then her status will be even lower going forward because the other hens who are mid-range on the pecking order will want it really clear she is below them.

The lower bar seems to me to be a step on the way to the roost. Can you lower the top one instead? Or make the top tier have more space (extra bar) without removing the lower one as a step ?

Lowering the top bar would also stop any draft from that window hitting them in the neck.
I could try moving to bars around. The window is actually upside down so it is permanently open at the top.

Any update on your coop progress? Would love to see photos.
Hey there!! Sorry for the delay in posting....I am about 99% finished with the coop and will get started on the run soon. All that is left to do inside is the roost with poop boards and vinyl floor covering. I'll do some more pics once that's complete....life has gotten in the way lately. LOL

Attachments

• coop front.jpg
    coop front.jpg
    615.9 KB · Views: 3
  • coop back.jpg
    coop back.jpg
    536.8 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom