Roost Design

Hillschicks

Songster
7 Years
Jul 17, 2012
Just curious what everyone has for roosts... Some people say something they can wrap their feet around, some say something flat they can lay on like the 4" side of a 2x4 ... Whats everybodys take??
we went with 4" side of 2x4 because i read it allows them to keep their toes warm during the winter being able to lay on them and i also read of mice n rats eating toes and figured why not... Just curious what everyone chose and why?? Because as with anything chicken there are 20 solutions to every problem :)

My hen house came w/ a 2" by 2" and I took it out and lowered it (I have heavy breed birds and didn't want them jumping down from that height) and installed a 2x4 on the 4" side and they seem to like it. I've read so many people say that's what they so and the hens seem cool with it.

I have a ladder roost like yours I think it in the best choice because it keeps their feet warm and it just seems more comfortable especially for heavy breeds

I used the same wood I used for the construction of the whole coop&run, a 2x1 wood which I put on the 2" flat side.

Also I put my roost about 24" high. is this too high or 2 narrow for my Barred rock and RIR pullets when they get bigger? (please note that I live in Thailand, so we don't really have winters and cold toes are never a problem
tongue.png
)

Last edited:
I have heard that they like to roost higher than the nest boxes... If its warm and they are happy i would think 2 inch roost is plenty... Figure when free ranging they dont seem too picky, but i like to spoil them... If they have trouble getting up to 24" roost, perhaps a small lower one they can use as a "step" to help get up... My highest roost is about 4 feet off the ground, but they have two other rungs to hop up and down

What am I doing wrong?? I've tried natural branches, wooden closet poles and have now lowered the roost and they always sit in nesting boxes and poop all night. Any suggestions from you more experienced chicken keepers??? Thanks from a newbie!!!!

What am I doing wrong?? I've tried natural branches, wooden closet poles and have now lowered the roost and they always sit in nesting boxes and poop all night. Any suggestions from you more experienced chicken keepers??? Thanks from a newbie!!!!
I would try to block off the nesting boxes at night for a few nights and actually pick them up and put them up on their roost. Pretty soon they should get the idea. Just be sure you unblock the nest boxes first thing in the morning so they don't lay on the floor.

Back
Top Bottom