Roost Diagrams Needed for Large Coop

The new coop is inside part of our larger workshop, so two sides are framed with hardware cloth and the other two have windows and plywood covering the exposed studs of the building. The air circulation seems better in the center. Right now, their roost is in the center and consists of two 2x4 boards, each 8 ft long and 12" high. That's as high as most of them seem comfortable jumping down. We had a higher roost with a ladder, but everyone wanted the spot at the top of the ladder. Their current roost is ugly and I know there must be a better way to build something; I just can't find anything with specific directions showing how to build a roost (whether attached or not).
If you post some pics of the coop, I'm sure someone can make a suggestion.

I used a closet rod across the back, and a ladder to get up high.

My coop is also built into a larger shed...I have the nest boxes in the wall so I can access eggs from inside the shed without going into the coop itself.
The roost and poop boards are mounted on the opposite wall.
Here's a pic, those roosts handle about 18 chickens, some roost on the boards themselves.
Prolific construction pics on My Coop page, link under my avatar.

Because I wanted the nests about waist high for ease of collecting for me,
the roost boards are about 36"(roosts higher than nests so they won't sleep and poop in nests),
I had to install ramps because they were crashing into walls when flying down from roosts,
tho part of that was because chickens were in a new place, it still works well for some of my heaver birds who don't want to jump down.
The ramps go to a platform thats about 18" high.

images

I've always liked these A frame roosts. Not attached to anything. Can be moved to wherever and how often you like.

My uncle had approx. 1,000 leghorns and had a huge barn with these types of roosts right down the middle.

I helped clean that barn twice a year. Two people on each end, carried it out for easy cleaning of the barn and the roosts.

Back
Top Bottom