Roost ladder

With that nice open coop where they can spread their wings I have trouble understanding why your barred rocks don't just fly up there if they want to go up there. Mine fly higher than that. And I'm confident mine could go up that ladder you show in your first post. But you say all of yours don't get up there on their own. You are looking at them, I am not, so I'll take your word for it.

Chickens don't automatically know how to use a ramp. They don't know to go to the base and walk up. Often they go on the ground under the high point and can't figure out how to get to the top. You see that a lot with broody hens trying to get their chicks up a ramp into an elevated coop. I don't like ramps and almost never use them. Instead I build steps for the baby chicks out of pavers. It is much more natural for them to climb up steps to get to the top. I could see steps built out of cinder blocks working for you. Or build steps out of wood. Say a rise of 9" with a 9" width. Steps would not have to be that strong, they has to support chickens, not you.

Or try what the others are saying with that ramp in your photo in post #7. Raise the bottom to make the slope flatter. You could have a couple of steps up to the raised base. I'd screw the top in place so it is stable. You don't want it to fall.

I still think part of your problem is that some of them don't want to. They are not going to climb a ladder, ramp, or steps, or fly up there if they don't want to. So I'd still suggest setting them up there after dark to develop the desire in them for them to sleep up there.
Thank you. I swapped out the ramps for a smaller one that I put on a block and moved the top of it down just a bit. I put one of my chickens on it and she went up it with no issue. I will show the other girls and then they can do whatever they want lol. Last night when I put them in the coop I stood in there and watched them because I could tell they were trying to figure it out. One of them attempted to fly up there but she didn't make it. Now, that doesn't mean she can't at all, she might on another attept. I was ready to go to bed so I just put them all up there lol. I am sure they will get it figured out. Thanks for the help!

I really have no clue how to make steps, ramps, ladders... that will work.
I just used some 2x2's that you can get at Lowes/Home Depot and used some round bars that I had on hand for the rungs although the 2x2's will work just fine for that....mine all walk up the ladder like it's nothing. I spaced the rungs fairly close together for that very reason. Mine normally walk back down in the morning instead of flying. To attach it to the roost I used big hooks on the end of the ladder and rings on the roost so it is easy to remove for the cleaning. I'd be glad to measure the distance between the rungs if you would like....

Attachments

• 20230501_104126.jpg
    20230501_104126.jpg
    671.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 20230501_083905.jpg
    20230501_083905.jpg
    765.6 KB · Views: 17
Hello!
I made a ramp for the chickens to get to the roost but I think its too steep. The roost is probably 4 1/2 feet. Some of my heavy girls are having issues. I also recently moved them into this coop so they are still getting used to everything. My question is.. do you think this ladder is good enough? This was a ladder blanket. Should I add additional rungs? It looks like it would work to me but I am always looking for others thoughts and ideas. Thanks!
That's way too steep. The other problem you may get with a ladder like that is they roost on the ladder rather than climbing to the top and roosting on the roost bars provided.
Usually with both ramps and ladders the first few rungs are wasted. The birds tend to hop onto the ramp/ladder a few rungs from the bottom.
If you have the room, hop up platforms may serve them better; different height tree stumps can work with the advantage the likelyhood of them roosting on the platforms (stumps) is less.
Most chickens wont use the ramps/ladders or stumps to climb down from roost bars if they have room to fly down.

That's way too steep. The other problem you may get with a ladder like that is they roost on the ladder rather than climbing to the top and roosting on the roost bars provided.
Usually with both ramps and ladders the first few rungs are wasted. The birds tend to hop onto the ramp/ladder a few rungs from the bottom.
If you have the room, hop up platforms may serve them better; different height tree stumps can work with the advantage the likelyhood of them roosting on the platforms (stumps) is less.
Most chickens wont use the ramps/ladders or stumps to climb down from roost bars if they have room to fly down.
I swapped out my ramp for a different one I built. I had one on the outside going into the coop and one in the coop going up to the roost. I just swapped those around added a cinderblock and they have been using it. I removed the actual ladder. Some of them like to sleep on the ramp. Silly chickens.

I just used some 2x2's that you can get at Lowes/Home Depot and used some round bars that I had on hand for the rungs although the 2x2's will work just fine for that....mine all walk up the ladder like it's nothing. I spaced the rungs fairly close together for that very reason. Mine normally walk back down in the morning instead of flying. To attach it to the roost I used big hooks on the end of the ladder and rings on the roost so it is easy to remove for the cleaning. I'd be glad to measure the distance between the rungs if you would like....
Love it! Thank you but I swapped out the ramp for a different one and I removed the ladder. We are good to go now.

Back
Top Bottom