Roost placement

seattlehens83

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 11, 2011
Seattle
Here's what I'm thinking:

95665_000_03691.jpg

Going to add poop trays under both. and make them removable for easy cleaning.

Are there going to be issues with the hens not being able to get up to the roosts??? The near one is 39" off the floor and the one against the wall is 34.5 inches off the floor. Also the one against the wall is about 4 inches lower than the near one.

I'm assuming that there wont be an issue with the pop door placement since I'll have poop trays above it, but I figured I'd ask just in case.

Thanks All!!!!

Not an expert here (by any means) but the roosts in our outdoor pen are 41" off the ground. We have heavy bodied birds (orpingtons and australorps) and they get up just fine. At first the orpington's had a bit of trouble but now they just hop right up.

Pat

Depends on if you clip their wings. Mine have to have clipped wings or they fly over the fence, so they could not get up there. My large breed chickens might have problems getting that high, but with normal wings, they might be just fine!

Thanks for the info guys! I'm just gonna go ahead and instal at this height I guess if they have trouble getting up there I can always build a ladder.

See my BYC page for pics. I use a ladder roost that is pivoted and suspended by chain. I can lift it up out of the way via a cable run through pulleys routed over next to the entrance door. I use the deep litter compost pit method myself. (no poop boards!)

Although I really do like the ladder idea here is what I've decided on after the comment about worry about the birds getting down not up.

95665_000_03701.jpg

Thanks!!!

Back
Top Bottom