Roost placement

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by seattlehens83, Aug 12, 2011.

1. seattlehens83

seattlehens83 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2011
    Seattle
    Here's what I'm thinking:

[​IMG]

Going to add poop trays under both. and make them removable for easy cleaning.

Are there going to be issues with the hens not being able to get up to the roosts??? The near one is 39" off the floor and the one against the wall is 34.5 inches off the floor. Also the one against the wall is about 4 inches lower than the near one.

I'm assuming that there wont be an issue with the pop door placement since I'll have poop trays above it, but I figured I'd ask just in case.

Thanks All!!!!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Looks good.

3. seattlehens83

Jun 11, 2011
    Seattle
    Not too high??? I'm getting Standard size chickens. Should be Barred Rock, Red Star, Delaware... etc.

4. Growin' Natural

Growin' Natural New Egg

Aug 12, 2011
    Not an expert here (by any means) but the roosts in our outdoor pen are 41" off the ground. We have heavy bodied birds (orpingtons and australorps) and they get up just fine. At first the orpington's had a bit of trouble but now they just hop right up.

Pat

5. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Depends on if you clip their wings. Mine have to have clipped wings or they fly over the fence, so they could not get up there. My large breed chickens might have problems getting that high, but with normal wings, they might be just fine!

6. seattlehens83

Jun 11, 2011
    Seattle
    Thanks for the info guys! I'm just gonna go ahead and instal at this height I guess if they have trouble getting up there I can always build a ladder.

7. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I don't know if my concern would be getting up there. I would look at the distance they would have to "fly" down. That looks like a pretty good drop to me.

8. HappyChickenLover

HappyChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Hope you have game birds, lol. layers will have horrible time at that height

9. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    See my BYC page for pics. I use a ladder roost that is pivoted and suspended by chain. I can lift it up out of the way via a cable run through pulleys routed over next to the entrance door. I use the deep litter compost pit method myself. (no poop boards!)

10. seattlehens83

Jun 11, 2011
    Seattle
    Although I really do like the ladder idea here is what I've decided on after the comment about worry about the birds getting down not up.

[​IMG]

Thanks!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by