Roost Question???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lorain's fids, Aug 14, 2011.

1. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    The roosts are about to be put in the coop, just wondering do you leave the wood as is or do you paint it. If we were to paint it, it would be with the white outdoor paint that we used for the walls.
    Also we bought a sqaure poll for the roost, should we also use a round one so they can have a choice?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  2. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    I left the wood as is.
    If you use paint just be sure it doesn't make a slippery surface on the roost.

3. 5parrots&zoo

5parrots&zoo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    It would be a very good idea to round off the tops of the roosts for your chickens. It was a suggestion I read about in one of my magazines, and my husband did this before installing the roosts. Your chickens will appreciate it, not having that sharp corner under foot all night long. 2x2 worked perfectly for us. Hope this helps.

4. Renthorin

Renthorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Dexter Michigan
    I did NOT paint mine, but did give it lots of thought. I wasn't sure about the chemicals in the paint and how slippery it might be. The way I see it, my 7 foot 2x4's were $1.94 each so if I have to replace them one a year it won't break the bank [​IMG]

5. Malita

Malita Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    McKinney, TX
    We used unpainted 2x2 for the banties and 3-4" diameter crepe myrtle branches for the larger girls. I think I need to rough up the branches as crepe myrtles are pretty slick. I didn't want to use cedar due to my own allergies. No paint though - don't want the work nor the additional chemicals near the girls.

6. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    I painted the roosts white, like the rest of the interior. They are 2X4s placed with the wide side up. The edges are rounded over. I remove and wash them off with the hose every now and then. I think it's a good idea and it helps protect the wood. In the below link, a few pages in, you can see them.
    Jack

7. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    Quote:Nice looking coop.
    I am wondering why some use 2x2 wood and some use 2x4, I am thinking the 2x4 is more comfortable for the chickens to stand on., but with it being 4 inches they can't hold on like other birds use a perch.

So I have gotten replys-yes paint the wood and no leave it natural--so I am guessing that it can be done either way , I will do 1 roost painted with the white paint that I used for the walls and leave another roost unpainted--time will tell what works for my chickens and for me, as far as keeping it clean.

8. Renthorin

Renthorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Dexter Michigan
    The consensus seems to be the wider base for them to stand on is for colder climates. They don't really need to 'grip' it as it isn't moving and it isn't narrow.
    Being wider, they can settle down onto it and their feathers will cover their entire feet, thus keeping them warm and no frostbite in the winter. If they have a smaller perch that they can grab around, part of their toes are uncovered.

At least that's what I've gathered in my limited time here [​IMG]

9. gdplum

gdplum Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2010
    Tulsa
    My roosts are constructed with cedar boards that are intended for wood fencing - 3 /12 inches wide. Tops and edges are sanded. Occasionally, I sprinkle Sevin dust on the tops of the roost boards, to help keep mites in control.

10. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    We have 2x4's with the wide side up. We did paint ours, but I put sand on the top after the first coat, then painted over it to give some traction. The ones that use the roosting poles seem to be enjoying the width as oppossed to clinging on for dear life to what they were used to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by