roost

whit246

In the Brooder
Nov 18, 2018
morning,
do hens need a roost?There is a small one in my small coop,about6" from floor.Prissy dosen'tlike to go into coop @ nite& I think that's why.She was roosting on ladder before the coop, but I'm afraid of predators.Can they survive without roost?
thanks

morning,
do hens need a roost?There is a small one in my small coop,about6" from floor.Prissy dosen'tlike to go into coop @ nite& I think that's why.She was roosting on ladder before the coop, but I'm afraid of predators.Can they survive without roost?
thanks
Chickens prefer to roost high. How big is your coop/run in feet x feet, how many chickens do you have and how old are they?

Can chickens survive without a roost? Some Silkies do. They can't fly so getting up or down may be challenging. Some Silkies do roost if they can get up there but some choose to not roost even when they can get up and down. Based on that chickens can survive without roosting as long as you keep predators away.

Roosting is generally an instinctive behavior. It's a survival instinct, get up high where ground dwelling predators can't get you. Most chickens want to roost on the highest things possible. That could be in the coop, that could be in the run.

I don't know how old your chickens are, how many you have, their social ranking, or how much coop or roost space you have. All those can affect where they roost or even if they roost. I don't know where she is sleeping now. There is probably a reason she is not roosting but I don't know what it is.

Chickens prefer to roost high. How big is your coop/run in feet x feet, how many chickens do you have and how old are they?
I have one hen who was abandoned...had too take her in...don't know age..one egg daily.Its a Trixie brand coop.

Can chickens survive without a roost? Some Silkies do. They can't fly so getting up or down may be challenging. Some Silkies do roost if they can get up there but some choose to not roost even when they can get up and down. Based on that chickens can survive without roosting as long as you keep predators away.

Roosting is generally an instinctive behavior. It's a survival instinct, get up high where ground dwelling predators can't get you. Most chickens want to roost on the highest things possible. That could be in the coop, that could be in the run.

I don't know how old your chickens are, how many you have, their social ranking, or how much coop or roost space you have. All those can affect where they roost or even if they roost. I don't know where she is sleeping now. There is probably a reason she is not roosting but I don't know what it is.
she sleeps in the coop.Thanks for your reply.she'll have to go without roost:woot

I have one hen who was abandoned...had too take her in...don't know age..one egg daily.Its a Trixie brand coop.
I have a coop similar in style to the one you have. But I only use it for isolation purposes and I attached a 6x8' run to it.
A chicken can't really roost in it. I would leave the pop door open year round to aid with ventilation as the solid roof over the "run" will provide adequate wind protection in our NY winters.
At some point, you might want to consider building yourself something larger and getting 2 or 3 more chickens.
What region of NY are you in?

I have a coop similar in style to the one you have. But I only use it for isolation purposes and I attached a 6x8' run to it.
A chicken can't really roost in it. I would leave the pop door open year round to aid with ventilation as the solid roof over the "run" will provide adequate wind protection in our NY winters.
At some point, you might want to consider building yourself something larger and getting 2 or 3 more chickens.

don't want more ...just want to give this one comfort As no one wanted it.The coop is on my front porch....no room for run...thanks for responding

I'm 90 miles north of nyc...Tillson

don't want more ...just want to give this one comfort As no one wanted it.The coop is on my front porch....no room for run...thanks for responding
If no one wanted it, why did you keep her? :idunno
Chickens are "hard wired" to be in flocks. They are much happier in a group.
Would you consider trying to find someone to take her in? Just advertise her on CL or find a poultry FB page and I'm sure you could find her a good home.

Back
Top Bottom