Rooster acting strange

lori_smith99

Songster
Aug 16, 2022
North East Florida
My Rooster is 17 wks old and is always very vocal and commanding of the girls in the flock. He eats well and always has to be the first to the mash. Today he came and greeted me like usual but let girls eat and didn't bother them. Now I went out and he was laying in the dirt bath area sleeping. He let me pick him up with no fuss and set down and he is now sleeping standing up?
Has normal poops saw him go today and no breathing sounds or anything out of the ordinary. Besides the sleeping. It is gloomy and humid today, no sun but warm still.
Any ideas would be appreciated!

Attachments

• 20221001_143304.jpg
    20221001_143304.jpg
    734.2 KB · Views: 4
My Rooster is 17 wks old and is always very vocal and commanding of the girls in the flock. He eats well and always has to be the first to the mash. Today he came and greeted me like usual but let girls eat and didn't bother them. Now I went out and he was laying in the dirt bath area sleeping. He let me pick him up with no fuss and set down and he is now sleeping standing up?
Has normal poops saw him go today and no breathing sounds or anything out of the ordinary. Besides the sleeping. It is gloomy and humid today, no sun but warm still.
Any ideas would be appreciated!
Photos of his poop?

Is he the only cockerel?

Any chance he ate moldy feed?
Check to see if his crop is emptying overnight and that he has no lice/mites.

I'd consider treating for Coccidiosis. Corid can be found in the cattle section of TSC.
Dose for Liquid Corid is 2tsp or Powdered Corid is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
You can give this to your whole flock if you wish.

Glad he's doing better.

Poop the size of an egg! My goodness.
I'd watch to make sure he's drinking well and eating too. Provide poultry grit (crushed granite) free choice.
If need be, give him 1tsp coconut oil twice day to help alleviate some constipation.

If this continues, then finding out the cause is a good idea.

Glad he's doing better.

Poop the size of an egg! My goodness.
I'd watch to make sure he's drinking well and eating too. Provide poultry grit (crushed granite) free choice.
If need be, give him 1tsp coconut oil twice day to help alleviate some constipation.

If this continues, then finding out the cause is a good idea.
Thank you! Yes they have grit available at all times and even the babies have chick grit available to them as well.
I will do the coconut oil for sure thank you for the suggestion!!

Back
Top Bottom