Rooster acting weird/antisocial?

Brandon L

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 23, 2013
Hi everyone.

I have a polish rooster who has been acting funny for the past 36 hours. Usually he is quite social and likes to be around the other chickens, but last night and today he has been keeping himself separate from everyone. He wasn't on the roost with the others when I checked on him last night, and today he has been either hiding or out in the run by himself, away from everyone.

He seems to be getting around fine, and I picked him up and checked him over. No bugs or any wounds that I saw.

A little while ago I noticed he was eating with the other chickens, so that's a good sign.

Any idea why my guy is acting slow/anti social? Did he maybe get in a fight that I didn't see and he's just trying to recover? Any advice is welcome.

Thanks.

Do you have any other roosters? Does he show any signs of illness - sneezing, head shaking, weight loss, congestion, raspy breathing, loss of coordination, etc?

I do, I have two other roosters. They and my 15 hens all get along. They're about 7 months old now.

No signs of illness, but I just went out to the coop and he was up on the roost with the other chickens again, which is a direct change from last night.

I would guess then that the change in behavior was due to an altercation between the Polish and one or both of the other males. Once they get their heirarchy straightened out things should return to normal.

Back
Top Bottom