Rooster aggression or maturing?

Sounds like you have one that I would not keep. Like Rachel, if he attacks a kid he is gone. I don’t use a shotgun, I use a hatchet and prepare him for the kitchen, but the end result is that he is gone.

For some reason, yours sounds high-strung. Mine do not get agitated at normal activity in or around the coop, but if I am doing something strange or unusual, yeah, they can get a little nervous, especially if I have something unusual in my hand. It’s not him standing there and yelling at me, more of a sound much like the egg song, which is a sign they are nervous. The hens can do that too. If I’m carrying a feed bucket, no problem. If I am carrying a tiny camera, that is a threat. They are not used to the camera.

It’s possible you could teach him to leave you alone. It’s possible your husband could teach him to leave him alone. It’s possible your daughter could teach him to leave her alone if she is willing and able to put him in his place herself. Even then, he would be a danger to any other individual that has not taught him to respect them. And it’s possible he will behave for a week or two, then attack when your back is turned. The one that I did not keep learned to leave me alone, though it took some effort and he did try some surprise attacks. But he still attacked my wife or any other stranger that came around without provocation. That really wasn’t a hard decision for me.

That’s the only one I’ve ever had a serious problem with. Occasionally I have a young one that will challenge me once or twice, but he quickly learns to not attack any human and we get along fine.

I don’t treat them as pets. I know some people handle them all the time and don’t have problems, but I don’t do that. The only time I handle them is when I am checking them for mites or lice, something like that. When I check the entire flock, I lock them all in the coop and catch and examine the dominant rooster first, then toss him out in the run. That way he does not have to see me handling his hens which might arouse his protective instincts. I don’t go out of my way to provoke my rooster, but if I need to catch a specific chicken in the run when he is there, I just grab the fishing net and get the chicken. It really hasn’t been a problem.

I don’t know why some roosters get human aggressive. Some seem to be born that way, no matter how they are raised. For some it is a learned response. I remember a story a few years back on here where someone had a rooster that was fine until his 5 year old boy started imitating the rooster’s dance to the rooster the way the rooster did to the hens. That threatened the rooster’s dominance and he attacked any kid from them on whenever he saw them. That rooster was provoked, but from then on no kid was safe.

The only reason I touched him was so I could show dominance. I usually don't but when I have to bend over to pick up empty treat dish and he climbs on it I have to touch him to back him up. I don't treat him as a pet to touch and hold and pet. I usually leave him alone but the day he bit my jacket i wasn't trying to touch him i was trying to sprinkle scratch on the ground. I will have to consider if I "need" him as we just started free ranging them for part of the day and we do have hawks and coyotes (2 coyotes seen at 8:30 am attacking one of our dogs). I don't depend on him for fertile eggs but eventually we wanted to. Is his behavior typical rooster behavior or if we got one later on is there a chance we would get one that is less aggressive and if you leave him alone he will leave you alone?

Yes it is typical rooster behavior. There certainly are good roosters and some can learn to be respectful, but many are just downright nasty. As far as predator protection for a free roaming flock? Having a roo is no guarantee of safety. A good rooster will watch and give warning and may give hens time to escape an attack, often at the expense of his own life. Often as not, especially with coyotes, kills will still be made.

As far as whether another rooster raised with less human contact would be better? Who knows, I agree with Ridge Runner in that aspect that it's hit and miss. My current roo was raised with minimal contact, he still went through the green eyed monster stage when the hormones hit. With a little training he learned to behave and be decent. Sometimes they settle down around a year old. I still keep an eye on him but he respects my space. If I had young children I would not have any roosters at all, it's just to much risk for them as roosters can do serious damage, especially if they can get up to face level.

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree this is typical rooster behavior. I've had over 2 dozen roosters in recent years and only 2 have been at all human aggressive. The others have never, even once, challenged me. Don't know if I have particularly docile roosters or it's just my winning personality, but that's my experience.

The shotgun was my husband's response to seeing our huge silver EE roo on our toddler's back, spurring the little guy. The kid went under one arm, football carried to the garage, shotgun came out and carried in the other hand to the rooster, rooster was trying to get to the toddler again while honey still had him in a football hold, rooster got blasted. I was so mad I didn't even care we didn't get to eat him, although I'd usually prefer to. My motto is Mean Roosters Taste Better.

I think sometimes it can be the particular breed of the rooster. I have Salmon Faverolle roo's and Cochin roo's that are very docile but both of my Blue Andalusion roos went in the dinner pot because of their extreme aggression.

I was trying to figure out if its "teenage" coming into hormone behavior or something that will continue. If its correctable I would prefer correcting it first but if its a losing battle I don't want to waste the time. He is a speckled Sussex.

I would not trust this rooster ever again. As stated above, any rooster that attacks a child needs to die. I can't imagine anyone wanting to take him unless it's to eat him. If you were to try to give him away (I don't know what it's like where you live - if chickens are in short supply or not - but where I live you can't even give away the nice ones!), it would have to be with full disclosure that he's human aggressive. Personally, I wouldn't chance it. I would not want to be responsible for someone else being attacked or a child being injured by a bird that I gave them. If you can't kill him, maybe your husband can, or you can find someone else to do it for you. It's really not fair for your little girl to have to be afraid of getting attacked when she goes outside. Oh, and you don't "need" a rooster when you free range. Generally a dominant hen will take the place of guardian and watch for predators. And your rooster will not be able to fend off a coyote if one did come around. I had a big Brahma rooster this summer, and when the coyotes came through, I lost him and 3 or 4 hens.

Thank you for the advice. I just hated to kill him if there was any other purpose he could serve. Will have to have husband take care of it :(. Now to explain to my daughter who is an animal lover even though he attacked her. Will have to tell her that he "ran" away.

How do you all separate the fact that chickens are not pets to the kids and yourself? Not a country girl but trying to toughen up and this is our first set of animals that are not house pets. I kept telling myself that they aren't pets and I didn't treat them as pets but still became attached. Responsible chicken ownership and responsible parent = no aggressive rooster...I did get the message ;).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom