Rooster aggression

You’re the only one who can decide how much nonsense you want to take from him, and how you want to handle it. I use a hands off approach with my cockerels. I don’t pet, pick up, carry or hand feed. When I’m out with the chickens, I walk with confidence around them. I do not “tread lightly” because I want them to know that I will not be pushed around. I walk through them if they’re between me and where I want to go. If one decides to sneak up on me from behind, I turn around and face him, walk toward him and back him up. Sometimes I just walk toward them until they move away. I move them away from the feeder and waterer just because I can. Basically, I meet their every challenge. I don’t care if they crow or mount a hen in front of me - I’m not a rooster. I just want them to respect my space. I have not had a problem with cockerels or roosters since I have started raising them this way.

I agree with @bobbi-j , except to say that I have had cockerels who never gave up, and were attack birds, until they met their end. Sometimes nothing works! An idiot who attacks the giant who brings food every day can't be that bright, and shouldn't join the gene pool.
@Beekissed , @BantyChooks , and also @Shadrach , who has a very different flock structure and environment, all have good articles about managing roosters. Look them up, for starters.
Good roosters are wonderful, the others, not.
I think that cockerels raised in mixed age flocks, with adult hens and roosters, tend to grow up better too.
Mary

I agree with @bobbi-j , except to say that I have had cockerels who never gave up, and were attack birds, until they met their end. Sometimes nothing works! An idiot who attacks the giant who brings food every day can't be that bright, and shouldn't join the gene pool.
@Beekissed , @BantyChooks , and also @Shadrach , who has a very different flock structure and environment, all have good articles about managing roosters. Look them up, for starters.
Good roosters are wonderful, the others, not.
I think that cockerels raised in mixed age flocks, with adult hens and roosters, tend to grow up better too.
Mary
I’m not saying it will work on every cockerel, just that it has worked for me - I should add *so far*. When I come across that one who insists on attacking me anyway, he won’t last long.

Young cockerels/roosters can be jerks. They are just exactly like extremely hormonal human young men.

Many males (chickens and humans included) learn to moderate their behavior by the time they are young adults, which for chickens is around two years old.

If you search this site, you will find that very few humans are willing to wait a year for the hormone flare to abate, and re-home or otherwise cull their young rooster. You have to decide for yourself whether you want to tread lightly around him for a year or so, knowing that this may be his permanent disposition.
And if you do decide to "wait it out" and you are hatching chicks in the meantime, just know that you may be creating cockerels with bad dispositions too.

I'll link you to an article I wrote about rooster behaviour. As @Folly's place mentions, my keeping arrangements are different from many back yard keepers.
The article doesn't give tactics for dealing with rooster aggression, it's more about why they are aggressive and what circunstances may encourage that behaviour.
@bobbi-j has the right idea imo. Roosters are in the end for many keepers a confidence bluff. They know if you're scared of them. Theyoften sort their own disputes out in this fashion. One rooster will charge at another to see if it will run away. If the rooster being charged at stands it's ground then mostly, not always, but mostly, if they fight it will be a half hearted affair and both will wander off feeling they've salvaged their pride.
Game roosters and some very feral roosters are different.
Have a read of the article. Wear heavy duty clothing and footware while you attempt to sort the behaviour out. Keep everyone else away from the rooster. They can be much like dogs; only respond well to one person.
He sounds like he should turn out to be a good rooster for your hens; aggressive roosters often are. Whether he will fit in with your keeping arrangements is another matter.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/understanding-your-rooster.75056/

Back
Top Bottom