Rooster and chicken sitting in one spot w/failure to thrive

alaskachick

Songster
9 Years
Jun 13, 2010
Wasilla, Alaska
We have a 1 1/2 year old rooster and a hen who are acting differently than the rest of the flock. They are sitting in one spot all days long, their feathers are rustled up around their necks. The rooster has quit crowing and they are lathargic. The appear to be sick and I am worried they have some kind of sickness. We have separated them from the rest of the flock. We need to know if any of you have had chickens sick like this and what did you do to treat them. Is there any kind of anti botic I can buy at the feed store to treat them ourselves? A prompt answer would be appreciated.

Any other symptoms? Diarrhea, or gurgly sounds? Noisy breathing? Can you look them over real good to check for parasites? Also, have they had a good worming?

sorry to hear about your babies
sad.png
to be honest I don't know what's going on but I hope someone with more knowledge than me will come along soon

I don't know how much help I can be BUT, I had a BO acting similarly last week - ruffled feathers, lethargic, etc. I isolated her, gave her water and a bowl of yogurt and kept her in the dark overnight. She perked up the next morning. I have no idea what her deal was but she's doing great now expect she's not laying. I asked the folks at the farm & feed and they said she didn't fit any of the "standard" symptoms for disease or sickness so just isolate her and see what happens. If you have a way to keep them in the dark and quiet, maybe that will help. Sorry I can't offer more help. Seems a lot of people on BYC and in my area are seeing similar symptoms in their chickens. Maybe it's the moon.

Well... there is no respiratory wheezing or stomach gurgling. They have never had a worm problem that I can tell. When we bought them a year or so ago they came dewormed by the owner. What can I buy for them to deworm them again in case that is the problem. It can't hurt right? Now that I have them separated from the rest of the flock, I will be able to get a better look at their poop and determine if it is diarrhea. I have them in a dog cage and they are just standing. Do I need to put a small log in there so they can roost and get a better nights rest? I have never that a sick chicken and now I am just freaked out that they are suffering inside and can't tell me what they need.

Assume your chickens have worms. There are some good threads here about worming. Use 1/2 cc Valbazen for an average sized bird. Repeat in 10 days. Assume your chickens have lice/mites. I would start a good delousing program. Use Sevin dust on all the birds. There are more threads here on the subject but this is just for starters.

Back
Top Bottom