rooster and ducks

Stoney22

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 7, 2011
new hampshire
My rooster mounts my ducks all the time but wont or atleast I haven't seen him mount or bother with the hens. Also my hens aren't laying even though there is a light in the coop and tips for why he mounts the ducks and why my hens aren't laying?

He might be practicing on the ducks. No harm in it as long as they are not protesting. How old are your chickens? Are they finishing up a molt?

Rooster breeding the ducks = no problem. Drake breeding chicken = potential for physical injury. Hopefully he will figure out the proper 'target' audience if you want to hatch eggs. They will lay eventually.

Depending on what breed you have they may be starting up soon. Production birds would likely already be laying. A couple of your fancier breeds take longer. What are they getting to eat? And how long are your lights running?

I've been running the lights all night and my dad brings home pellets grain from his work though I must admit it is not layer pellets. But they do free range part of the day and it grass since its now winter here as well as table scraps. The light was added only a few days ago so I think their njtrition is ok but maybe it takes a few days for the light to kick start them?

Back
Top Bottom