Rooster and eggs question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by oceannoir, Sep 4, 2016.

1. oceannoir

oceannoir New Egg

Sep 4, 2016
    Hi everyone, My question is my rooster a buff orpington is growling at my hens every time they try to lay eggs,off course after few minutes the hens get out and my rooster stop but if another hens try to lay eggs it is the same story. I have 6 buff orpington hens. I just separated them from the all flock because I am trying to have few little buff orpington.What I can do for stop this idiot rooster. My second question is, they was with other chicken and 4 different rooster in the big pen, so I guess everyone of the rooster have sex with them, along I need to wait for make sure the eggs will be from my buff orpington rooster. I do not want mixed chicks just buff orpington for now. Thanks

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    [​IMG]

Is he acting aggressively toward them, or just making a growling type sound? If he's not actually doing anything, I wouldn't be concerned. A growling type sound from a chicken may not mean the same thing as growling from a dog.

I am not sure how long you have to wait to be sure any chicks hatched would be pure Buff Orpington. I believe at least two, maybe three weeks. Hopefully someone who actually knows will chime in here.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    The growling sound my roosters produce around the nest site are not indicative of the rooster posing a threat to the hen or nest contents. It is something I routinely see with harem master that later will help defend nest site and brood that hatches from it.

4. Gussie

Gussie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2016
    I don't have a reply to the growling but I have a rooster behavior question.my rooster is an americauna.i just walked in the coop and found him biting down on the neck of my silkie. Earlier today i heard a bunch of noise and found him ducked in the corner with a mouth full of feathers.he is right about 5 months old.he is the only rooster but NOT the dominant chicken.he was added to an established flock of hens and they are definitely in charge of him.
    Is the biting (it wasn't a peck, he had his mouth wrapped around its neck) some time of assertion of power or is it part of mating .... or what? He was an accident and I'm not sad if i HAVE to get rid of him,but my kids like him.

5. oceannoir

oceannoir New Egg

Sep 4, 2016
    Thanks for you responses I will wait and see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by