Rooster and hen behavior

frogman

Chirping
Mar 20, 2015
I finally got rid of my only rooster (1 roo and 3 hens). He was just a mean bird - I couldn't walk outside without him coming at me - even after holding him!!!
My question is now that the roo is gone - my hens are all over the place! They don't stay together anymore. He kept everybody in line!

Do I HAVE to have a roo? Any breeds less aggressive or kinder???

I have to say - it is so pleasant now outside with the girls!!

I finally got rid of my only rooster (1 roo and 3 hens). He was just a mean bird - I couldn't walk outside without him coming at me - even after holding him!!!
My question is now that the roo is gone - my hens are all over the place! They don't stay together anymore. He kept everybody in line!

Do I HAVE to have a roo? Any breeds less aggressive or kinder???

I have to say - it is so pleasant now outside with the girls!!
You definitely don't 'have to have a roo' --- And there are breeds that are sweeter by reputation than others.

One thing to consider if they are at risk is 'pastured poultry' -- in other words, there is some containment -- by a portable netting fence or other means so that they can't wander into danger.

It could be that the flock will become more compatable as time goes past, or it could be they were always hooligans and it made the rooster crazy? It was a tough job to keep them together. He was so frazzled he attacked you in his frustration.

Know what you mean about having the mean rooster gone -- it does make life and chicken keeping much more pleasant.

Good luck with it.

You don;t have too.And even if you are looking for one to keep them altogetehr,doesn't mean the rooster will.Some roosters are different and each do their job different.Any breed of a chicken can be aggressive.You could get the same kind of breed and end up with him being docile.

I have a very nice bantam frizzle cochin roo who is so nice! He take such good care of his ladies!! He brings them food scraps and he rarely eats them himself
1f413.png
in return his girls preen him :)

Back
Top Bottom