Rooster and Juvenile pullet.

Chickabluedle Coop

In the Brooder
Oct 13, 2020
We have 8 month old chickens, 4 hens and a rooster as well as a bunch of 17 week pullets.

The rooster has started mating with one 17 weeker, Daisy, a sapphire splash. She's a decent size and may start to lay soon in the next few weeks, but I'm just questioning if I should ignore or put the rooster in jail?

My instincts say that if he's approaching and she's allowing it, then she must be of age and let it be, but the mother-hen in me is slightly concerned for her well-being. She is EXTREMELY docile and I'm wondering if she just won't run away? Thoughts?

pictures for size comparison
IMG_20201110_102253444_HDR.jpg
IMG_20201110_102323543_HDR.jpg

I should also clarify a mature rooster should know when to mate. Young cockerel are hit and miss. Some will mate anything and everything.

The rooster has started mating with one 17 weeker, Daisy, a sapphire splash. She's a decent size and may start to lay soon in the next few weeks, but I'm just questioning if I should ignore or put the rooster in jail?
If he's only mating the one, and she's submitting, and not jumping on all of them, I'd say you have a good cockerel there. It's rare, but can happen.

We have 8 month old chickens, 4 hens and a rooster as well as a bunch of 17 week pullets.
FYI-PSA.....semantics, maybe, but can be important communication terms when discussing chicken behavior.
Female chickens are called pullets until one year of age, then they are called hens.
Male chickens are called cockerels until one year of age, then they are called cocks(or cockbirds or roosters).
Age in weeks or months is always a good thing to note.

Thanks for the note in chicken speak, I found myself grasping at the terminology to describe the different ages. I take to calling the 17 weekers a "chicks" just cuz I still considered them babies..lol.

Back
Top Bottom