Rooster and small flock

Hippie Chicks Mom

Songster
9 Years
Jun 9, 2010
Near Old Forge NY
I bought 3 pullets and it turns out they are 3 roosters so...I have re-homed 2. The last one was the runt and so far very docile. He is about 6 months old. If I need to due to aggression etc. can I separate him within the coop? He would have his own pen and access to the outdoors in good weather. My concern is he going to be ok not being able to get to the girls? Will it make him frustrated/mean? I have only 7 hens. They are all adults and not taking any of his nonsense yet! LOL

It would be hard on him to be separate and able to see the girls but not be with them. He will pace back and forth and want out. Will you be letting him in with them eventually? Short term it'll be fine...but if not then I'd just find him a new home where he can have girls of his own.

I routinely isolate males of all ages from females and they can be confined in sight of females. They can handle such just fine, even long-term. Some males are isolated from females for better part of year each year. Such males might even live longer.

He'd should be fine with seven. I wouldn't separate him from view of other chickens as chickens do not like to be alone. Some say it's cruel.

Back
Top Bottom