1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster any good?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by JudyMcKinn, Feb 5, 2009.

1. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    I have about 38 standard size hens--RIR, EE, Barred Rock, Golden Laced Wyandotte, Silver Laced Wyandotte, couple Light Bramans, couple Red Sex links, Black Austrulorp, couple Cinnamon Queens, etc. All layers. With these 38, I have ONE RIR rooster. I doubt if he can make all the eggs fertile. Right?
    Our neighbor bought 50 Black Sex Link (I think) pullets last summer. They are Black with a little hint of red on their breasts. There was ONE rooster in the group, and I am sure they would loan it to me. He looks different than the hens--has black & white stripes, sorta. I know you don't get the same quality of hen when you breed a sex link roo and hen, but I wonder if this roo would be ok to use on my regular layers, to hatch some chicks, who should be good layers? Or is the fact that he is a sex link rooster going to make him unsuitable for breeding, to obtain more egg layers from my egg laying flock?

2. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Since you dont care about breeds and all it would be fine to mate the black sexlink rooster to your hens. The sexlink roosters are from high production lines so they should throw the same.

3. JudyMcKinn

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    I had read or heard that mating the sex-links wasn't good somehow. Is it just because the chicks don't come out like the sex-links? No health problems, or anything like that? Thanks.

4. embkm

embkm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Colbert, Ga
    Quote:The only problem with breeding sex-links is that the chicks won't be sex-linked. That trait doesn't go to the next generation. But since they come from laying lines, they should still produce good layers. They shouldn't have any more health problems than any other mutt chicken.

5. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    Hey Judy, go ahead and get him. It will be fine to breed him with your hens. When breeding sex-link to sex-link it is possible to throw 25% small birds from the original egg laying small bird stock (usually Leghorn). For those people who want large birds this is a negative.

6. JudyMcKinn

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    Ok, Thanks, everybody. I'm gonna go ahead and do it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by