Rooster attacked chick

Papagena

In the Brooder
May 15, 2015
We have a rooster and 4 hens that are about 20 weeks old. We also have 6 week old chicks. We've had the chicks in a tractor while the big chickens free range. At night, we put the chicks in a kennel in the coop.

Tonight we decided to try just lifting the chicken tractor and grabbing the chicks to put them in the kennel (instead of carefully transferring them one by one).

Our rooster grabbed one of the chicks by the neck and swung her back and forth. She has a deep wound on the back of her neck and there's a good amount of blood. She's walking around and acting fine otherwise, but we've quarantined her.

What should I do? Do we need to cull the rooster?

(I'm posting this in two places because I also need advice on my rooster)

You need to put some conscious effort into introducing and integrating your flocks. Seems like there are various methods and philosophies, and various age guidelines depending on method. Search for topics like integrating flocks or introducing new chicks / hens. Here's an article that may help, from another thread on this issue running right now. I'm also dealing with introducing two flocks and have them in parallel runs, feeding both right next to the wire for maximum exposure.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/introducing-new-chickens-using-the-see-but-don-t-touch-method

Perhaps some rooster experts will chime in, but clearly your babies are way too young to just put with him. He's on the defensive against strange little critters.

Back
Top Bottom