Rooster attacking his hen. Advice on what to do?

Liza728w

Songster
Jul 22, 2020
Southern Ohio
I have seramas (very small bantams) that can't be outside during the winter. We just moved across the country to a colder climate so it's been 30's and 40's outside. All of my babies are in our garage with the heater going. I always lived in city limits so I kept just hens for years. As soon as I moved I raised a batch of eggs and kept the roosters that hatched.

Anyway, we have one rooster and two hens together. They have been together for months. One of his hens is very special to me. I went out to the garage tonight to check on everyone and I saw the rooster attack my girl. She was screaming and he just would not let go of her. I ran over and ripped him out of the cage before he could try again. She was stunned and cowering in the corner from it. It took her a good minute to recover.

He's in a kennel for the rest of the night. They aren't breeding seramas, so my two girls don't necessarily need a rude boyfriend. Is this normal behaviour for a rooster to attack his girls like this? I was surprised she wasn't bleeding. He's actually bitten me several times and drawn blood when I go to collect eggs.

How big is the cage? Not enough space is my first thought. Depending on age, his hormones are probably going berserk and if the hen rebuffed him he could be insisting on mating with her. With no place to run away she has no choice but to cower in a corner and take it. He has no chance to learn to woo the ladies so they’ll let him mate and he’s learning that force will work.

I have recently lost two hens to a rooster that was aggressive. So from my side I will say the roo needs a new home. So sorry your girl got beaten up. Hope she recovers soon.

Back
Top Bottom