Rooster attacking older hen

fatbeamie

Chirping
Jul 2, 2019
Maryland
I'm having an issue with my Rooster about 3 years old. He has always been a very calm good natured rooster, doesn't attach or chase. Due to natural occurrences, since the winter there was just him and his hen and she was stated to look rough due to all his attention. So I order three pullets and went through the steps of separation and carefully intergraded them. There was some scuffles and squawks, the older hen stopped laying for a bit, I'm sure due to the change, but as the new girls started laying she got back into the rhythm as they all seem to settle in nicely. Now all the sudden a couple of months into it the Rooster has started to attack the older hen relentlessly, not mating, but attacking her and not letting her into the fold so to say, chasing her away when she comes near to eat with them when I give them scratch treats. I think he blocked her from coming into the coop the other night, when I came out to close everything up the poor hen was huddle up in a corner outside in the pen (it is enclosed). So far I haven't seen the other hens picking on her, just him and she has a cut on her comb and some raw spots on her back that I'm treating and hasn't played an egg in over a week. So what could be the issue, what is going on, she isn't sick, so I don't think that's the issue? Why has he decided that his old mate isn't allowed in the flock and how should I keep her protected. I don't want to separate her, but I'm not sure what else to do. Any help would be appreciated.

Not sure why this behavior has happened, but in my experience it generally escalates even to the point of physically injuring or killing the hen. In my flocks hens come first. He would have to go.

More than likely, nothing we offer as advice will make him be nice to her. At three years of age - I would separate her, and keep the flock peaceful. If he picks a new victim, then he goes without question.

Always solve for peace in the flock.

Back
Top Bottom