Rooster attacking single hen!!!!

Larkin

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 10, 2010
Northern Wisconsin
Our rooster is seeking out and brutally attacking one of our hens. We have 13 hens and finally raised a rooster who is gentle yet protective. We also have 25 chicks that are 7 weeks old (and living in the same coop) and he is gentle with them! Whenever he sees Cocoa, he runs accross the yard and grabs her and flings her. This has been going on for a while and now she is so scared, she hides in the chicken coop and won't come out and free range! I'm not sure what to do, we need him as a protector and Cocoa is a great hen! I'm worried I'm gonna find her dead when we open up the coop in the morning!
My question is, if I separate him out for a few days, will he "get over" his aggression? I'm tired of getting rid of roosters, we finally raise one who is good with my kids, dogs, and chicks then this has to happen!

You can try separating him from the hens for a few days, but my guess is that you will eventually have to find a new home for the hen.

I've had this happen. In my case it was an older hen that the rooster tried to eliminate. She was one of my favorite BR's I've had for a long time and still laying. I dont recommend seperating the rooster, that'll make him even more determined to get Cocoa once released. I can also relate about getting rid of roosters. Tough choice you're going to have to make...the rooster goes or Cocoa goes. In my case, it was bye bye rooster.

uggh, it just takes so long to get a good rooster!!! I think I may just find a home for Cocoa, my SIL has some chickens, and she may just need another!!!

uggh, it just takes so long to get a good rooster!!! I think I may just find a home for Cocoa, my SIL has some chickens, and she may just need another!!!
Just a little advice for you; if you decide to get rid of your roo, consider finding a roo that's over a year old. Actually, the older the better. But it sounds like Cocoa will be going to a good home anyway. Good luck.

I know it's hard to get a good rooster. He's our 3rd one and he's definitely our nicest one. I'm not sure why he's attacking Cocoa, he was raised with her, she's a year older than him. I think we'll give her away and hope this was an isolated event! If not, I'll have to relook at this situation.

Back
Top Bottom