Rooster Beating up Hen

Was he cooped with the hens all winter? If a new introduction, she may have challenged him and he went over the edge. Sometimes it's hard to figure out what is going on in their little pea brains. You might give him a try with the hens in a couple of days. If he again becomes aggressive - to the auction with him.

X2. A cockerel or young rooster will become very excitable at the onset of Spring. Large roosters with small hens can cause injury, and a small rooster determined to mount a larger hen can cause injury. That is why I never liked mixing breeds too different in size. If I see a rooster being too aggressive, I'll stop him and distract him with feed, then observe behavior to see if he keeps targeting the same hen. Keeping spurs short and filed round at the ends helps prevent injury, but if you have a rooster that keeps targeting one particular hen, he may need to go. Only once did I have a rooster removed over many years of raising chickens. Lots of room gives opportunity for hens to avoid the rooster. I've watched roosters get tired chasing hens around, then when hens willingly submit, the rooster is more likely to mount them without the situation becoming stressful.

Yes, he was with them all winter with no issues. Before he came along this hen was the dominant female, she may have challenged him - but still he should have stopped once his point was made. He seamed intent on killing her. The local farm only butchers on Tuesdays so I will give him another try in a few days but if he is still aggressive off he goes.
It's not all that uncommon for dominant hens to decide that they don't want to stop being the dominant one when a rooster is added to the flock- the rooster has two decisions - kill/drive out that hen, or not be able to mate anyone.

Separate the hen to heal - and then reintroduce her in protected contact - hopefully she'll get the picture.

Back
Top Bottom