Rooster beating up my hens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickstreet, Oct 12, 2012.

1. chickstreet

chickstreet New Egg

Aug 14, 2012
    I just added a' big" full grown rooster to my flock...hens only flock for a year and a half.
    I kept them seperated for several days but when I let him out in the run he went right
    for my leghorns......pecking and just beating them. I have 3 rhode island reds(full grown) and he gets along with them with no problem.I seperated him again and tried again a couple days later...same action. He even hunts them down (they are trying to hide).......he is a beautiful rooster...americano.He is only mean the white hens?????
    Any ideas to make him stop this behavier would be appreciated. He will have to go
    if this keeps up!

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    No they can be mean to any breeds, Thats what roosters do ! He may be mating with them, but they can get really aggressive, You may have to put him in seperate pen if you want him !

3. chickstreet

chickstreet New Egg

Aug 14, 2012
    Last evening looking in the window of the coop, just watching him....he is very aggressive pecking them on the side if the head and neck......bringing blood!!!! Why does he not even pay any attention to the brown hens? mystery to me. I am new to owning a rooster, but I wanted to raise some baby chicks...now I am wondering what I should do.Thanks for the advice to put him in a seperate pin, I only have one pin but I will have to see what I can do.

4. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    I had (Keyword, HAD) a rooster included with a second batch of chicks I got. When he got about 4mos old, he took a serious dislike to one of my older hens from my first flock. He would just beat her up, drawing blood, drive her away from the others and food. I tried separating and reintroducing him, No good, he went right back at her. He had to go, and go he did.
    Jack

5. chickstreet

chickstreet New Egg

Aug 14, 2012
    Thanks Jack, I was afraid I would have to get rid of him. I will find him a new home. He is a
    good boy with the other hens.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    My rule is you draw blood twice, you're outta here.

You don't want his babies, anyway. Find a nice rooster and have nice rooster babies.

7. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    If he is drawing blood, find a new home. But make sure to explain to new owner that he is aggressive to some hens.

8. haemony

haemony Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2011
    WV
    There is no way I would keep a rooster who drew blood from my hens. It takes a lot less aggression from a rooster around here. I had to exile a rooster this summer. I loved this guy, raised him for almost a year and he was sweet as a puppy with me but he started brutalizing two of my hens. He just had it in for her. Gone! I did try making him sleep apart and just letting them free range together. Nope. As soon as he saw them he would just beat the tar out of them. I have a new roo. He is on a trial run. ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by