Rooster behaving oddly

kikiluvz2

In the Brooder
Aug 13, 2020
Hello
the other day my 9 month rooster started to behave oddly... first was leaning as to favor a leg, the loosing balance acting almost as if he was drunk. put him in the run to keep eye on him and to have him drink because he has a tendency to forget to hydrate. (yes he is alittle special) so freshend water and and added electrolytes and he stayed in and fed and watered. then he seemed fine, but walking slowly putting one leg out in front like a hi step then walking as if un sure... we checked him out saw nothing unusual except dirty feet, so we clean them. some very dry scales so we washed and and put some vetrx on them, noticed a couple small dark spots, I dont know what that is..he was somewhat more dandery than normal, ( if that is a word) left him a lone, kept eye on him, he just stayed near run and ate and drank...nothing to motivating. today I gave him an espsom salt soak for his feet and his under feathers were alittle mucky so got rid of that. and vaselined up his legs. his legs looked way better, but he still not walking balanced, and he stops and pecks under himself. and today i saw where he was pecking it was his one spur on left side.. I do not understand why, cause he looses his balance and falls over from trying to get at something. not sure what to do, do Spurs hurt them when they grow.. he is a very small verigated gray/black Araucana with one tuft, rumpless with 2 very ugly feathers sticking out.. and his spurs are only maybe a 1/4 of an inch if that much. can anyone shed some light for me.
Kelley

Hello
the other day my 9 month rooster started to behave oddly... first was leaning as to favor a leg, the loosing balance acting almost as if he was drunk. put him in the run to keep eye on him and to have him drink because he has a tendency to forget to hydrate. (yes he is alittle special) so freshend water and and added electrolytes and he stayed in and fed and watered. then he seemed fine, but walking slowly putting one leg out in front like a hi step then walking as if un sure... we checked him out saw nothing unusual except dirty feet, so we clean them. some very dry scales so we washed and and put some vetrx on them, noticed a couple small dark spots, I dont know what that is..he was somewhat more dandery than normal, ( if that is a word) left him a lone, kept eye on him, he just stayed near run and ate and drank...nothing to motivating. today I gave him an espsom salt soak for his feet and his under feathers were alittle mucky so got rid of that. and vaselined up his legs. his legs looked way better, but he still not walking balanced, and he stops and pecks under himself. and today i saw where he was pecking it was his one spur on left side.. I do not understand why, cause he looses his balance and falls over from trying to get at something. not sure what to do, do Spurs hurt them when they grow.. he is a very small verigated gray/black Araucana with one tuft, rumpless with 2 very ugly feathers sticking out.. and his spurs are only maybe a 1/4 of an inch if that much. can anyone shed some light for me.
Kelley
Have you checked his ears for an infection or blockage?
Spur growth doesn't as far as anyone can tell cause any pain to a cockerel. It's extremely unlikely that this is what is causing his balance problems.
Ear infections are one thing that may. There are others but an ear check by a vet would be best.

Have you checked his ears for an infection or blockage?
Spur growth doesn't as far as anyone can tell cause any pain to a cockerel. It's extremely unlikely that this is what is causing his balance problems.
Ear infections are one thing that may. There are others but an ear check by a vet would be best.
No I did not check his ears, but I will, than you.

A strange gait and balance issues can have multiple causes.

Did you already check him carefully for any possible injuries (predator attack)?

Internal parasites as for instance worms can cause nutritional deficiencies leading to neurological symptoms and dizziness.

External parasites (mites) can lead to anaemia and bacterial or viral infections presenting with neurological issues, drowsiness etc.

he is a very small verigated gray/black Araucana with one tuft, rumpless

Rumpless Araucana with tuft(s) often suffer from innate abnormalities connected to their breed specific mutations. In my book one of them seems to be malabsorption of B Vitamins.

Posting a picture of your cockerel might help us to help you.

Last edited:

Did you already check him carefully for any possible injuries (predator attack)?

Internal parasites as for instance worms can cause nutritional deficiencies leading to neurological symptoms and dizziness.

External parasites (mites) can lead to anaemia and bacterial or viral infections presenting with neurological issues, drowsiness etc.

Rumpless Araucana with tuft(s) often suffer from innate abnormalities connected to their breed specific mutations. In my book one of them seems to be malabsorption of B Vitamins.

Looked him over well, not injuries, did not check his ears but I am going to after he settles from me giving him a foot soak. And we gave him a vitamin boost on Monday and we are giving both him and my hen electrolyte water with b vitamins. have seen not worms in poop and have no mites. my hen is fine nothing seems to challenge her.

[/QUOTE

20201209_144003.jpg
20201209_144003.jpg this is Lu

He is not ready for me to grab him again. Ill wait til hubby gets home for some help with the ear check..

He is not ready for me to grab him again. Ill wait til hubby gets home for some help with the ear check..
It is best to grab them from the roost at night, no chasing and no stress for either of you.

What is this whitish scabby stuff above his right eye?

Back
Top Bottom