Rooster behavior

I’ve notice a drastic difference in the behaviors of our roosters.
We have 14 roosters in our main flock and 75 hens.
The Brahma roosters and RIR are very polite, they call their harem hens for treats, and even grab treats to hold for their favorites and only drop it when they are close. Almost chivalrous .
View attachment 3650998
View attachment 3650999
Then there are the mixes, hatched on the farm. They are jerks. I’ve seen and heard them making the noise for treats, but when a hen gets close they will grab and violate her. When we throw out treats, they will run in and eat them before the Ladies can get any. Even gang raping the hens, at least until the Brahmas come over and kick them off.
View attachment 3651008
View attachment 3651010
We were hoping the older Roosters would teach good behavior, but doesn’t seem to be working.
Our other Roosters, Silkie, Dwarf, and Polish are respectful, for the most part, but are smaller than the mixed ones, so don’t have as much sway on them.
Oh yeah, the Micro Rooster is an ass with a Napoleon’s complex. He doesn’t protect the other Micro hens, but will fight the big boys just for the challenge.
View attachment 3651011
He’s the only one that is somewhat aggressive towards us, but he’s small enough to boot across the yard if necessary.
Your post made me giggle. I am of no help - in fact was searching for answers to similar - but I love your napoleon remark!

A huge part of managing our livestock is culling what we cannot find a purpose for. A chest full of frozen chicken dinners is better than forcing the hens to live with too many cockerels while being gang raped daily by all of them.
Oof I definitely know it is a reality but being the crazy animal lover I could ever cull. Not judging at all just saying I don't have it in me!

I’ve notice a drastic difference in the behaviors of our roosters.
We have 14 roosters in our main flock and 75 hens.
The Brahma roosters and RIR are very polite, they call their harem hens for treats, and even grab treats to hold for their favorites and only drop it when they are close. Almost chivalrous .
View attachment 3650998
View attachment 3650999
Then there are the mixes, hatched on the farm. They are jerks. I’ve seen and heard them making the noise for treats, but when a hen gets close they will grab and violate her. When we throw out treats, they will run in and eat them before the Ladies can get any. Even gang raping the hens, at least until the Brahmas come over and kick them off.
View attachment 3651008
View attachment 3651010
We were hoping the older Roosters would teach good behavior, but doesn’t seem to be working.
Our other Roosters, Silkie, Dwarf, and Polish are respectful, for the most part, but are smaller than the mixed ones, so don’t have as much sway on them.
Oh yeah, the Micro Rooster is an ass with a Napoleon’s complex. He doesn’t protect the other Micro hens, but will fight the big boys just for the challenge.
View attachment 3651011
He’s the only one that is somewhat aggressive towards us, but he’s small enough to boot across the yard if necessary.
LOL I love the way your write. You take a tough situation and add humor to it!

Our RIR (2), Silkie, Dwarf are around 21/2
Brahmas (3) are roughly 2 yrs
The others are 10 -15 months
The Micro is 8-10 months
We don’t eat our birds and no one we know wants more roosters .
We are in the process of building an enclosure for just the roosters , to separate them from the hens for periods of time to give the girls some rest. Not sure how this will work on their psyche , but it’s a start. Some articles I’ve read say that an all rooster coop can work, others say it’s bad for them because of the fighting for dominance or Alpha status.
We don’t plan on putting all the roosters in it, maybe rotating a few in and out every month or so. Still not sure on that though.
My cousin does this - she separates them and it seems to be fine. They have company but just not the ladies (poor guys LOL) but it works for her.
Our RIR (2), Silkie, Dwarf are around 21/2
Brahmas (3) are roughly 2 yrs
The others are 10 -15 months
The Micro is 8-10 months
We don’t eat our birds and no one we know wants more roosters .
We are in the process of building an enclosure for just the roosters , to separate them from the hens for periods of time to give the girls some rest. Not sure how this will work on their psyche , but it’s a start. Some articles I’ve read say that an all rooster coop can work, others say it’s bad for them because of the fighting for dominance or Alpha status.
We don’t plan on putting all the roosters in it, maybe rotating a few in and out every month or so. Still not sure on that though.
I did a bunch of research when we had a rude-ster and found a place an hour away who takes them. She has a HUGE farm and breeds them so I brought him in a travel case to her. She gave me a tour of her farm so I knew he was in good hands. I wonder if you could find someone down there within an hour or so that you could load those boys up and they could go to live happily but not in your hair

Back
Top Bottom