Rooster behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Driftwood Coop, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Driftwood Coop

Driftwood Coop Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2008
    Amesbury, Mass
    I have a RIR rooster who goes into a corner of my shed, squats down facing the wall, and makes a similar sound to what he does when he's trying to get the hens to come for food. I'm thinking that he's trying to convince them to nest there (they haven't; they have nice nests in their coop). Anyone know what he's up too?
    Oh and he's a "sensitive" rooster. More or less a layabout, laid-back rooster.

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Could he be finding bugs there he wants to share?

3. Driftwood Coop

Driftwood Coop Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2008
    Amesbury, Mass
    Thanks -- hey I like your theme song, by the way. Wonder if Alice in Chains did some backyard chickening.

4. wyndski

wyndski Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    Spring Hill, FL
    I think you are right, he is trying sweet talk them with a nest. My Roo does this whenever he comes across hay. Which is usually hay which I have put in for my horses. [​IMG] My chickens are free range, but my hen lays in the same spot.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I agree. My former alpha rooster was very sneaky. He would do that and pretend he'd found something good to eat to get the hens to come closer. Once they did, bam! he mated them. It was the only way he could get close to the girls that didn't like him very much.

6. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

I also agree! He's saying, "I'm a big tough guy and you have to come over here and try out this perfect nest I found for you gals!"

Ironically, my hens never choose the spot that the rooster boasts about finding. If anything, they come in to give him a good peck on the head so he stops making such irritating racket! [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Blue Roo and Nugget were doing that when I put out fresh straw yesterday. They'd go scratch out a nice nest and call the ladies to check it out, then they would fix whatever the lady told them to and call them back to check it out again. Talk about hen-pecked lol!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by