Rooster behavior

Driftwood Coop

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 15, 2008
Amesbury, Mass
I have a RIR rooster who goes into a corner of my shed, squats down facing the wall, and makes a similar sound to what he does when he's trying to get the hens to come for food. I'm thinking that he's trying to convince them to nest there (they haven't; they have nice nests in their coop). Anyone know what he's up too?
Oh and he's a "sensitive" rooster. More or less a layabout, laid-back rooster.

I think you are right, he is trying sweet talk them with a nest. My Roo does this whenever he comes across hay. Which is usually hay which I have put in for my horses.
roll.png
My chickens are free range, but my hen lays in the same spot.

Quote:
I agree. My former alpha rooster was very sneaky. He would do that and pretend he'd found something good to eat to get the hens to come closer. Once they did, bam! he mated them. It was the only way he could get close to the girls that didn't like him very much.

I also agree! He's saying, "I'm a big tough guy and you have to come over here and try out this perfect nest I found for you gals!"

Ironically, my hens never choose the spot that the rooster boasts about finding. If anything, they come in to give him a good peck on the head so he stops making such irritating racket!
rant.gif
duc.gif

Blue Roo and Nugget were doing that when I put out fresh straw yesterday. They'd go scratch out a nice nest and call the ladies to check it out, then they would fix whatever the lady told them to and call them back to check it out again. Talk about hen-pecked lol!

Back
Top Bottom