Rooster behavior

YardEggs4Sale

Hatching
11 Years
Jun 17, 2008
La Grange, Texas
Will my RIRed rooster (20 wk) prevent my other hens (2 yr) from eating and laying in order to care for his female nest mate (20 wk)?

Background:

I have 4 Arauchana hens that are 2 years old. In order to increase my flock, I bought 6 Rhode Island Red chicks on 03/07/08. Two didn't make it, of the remaining 4, 3 roosters and 1 hen. I sold w of the 3 roosters, so now my flock consists of 4 older hens, 1 young pullet (she has been laying small eggs for about 3 weeks now) and a rooster.

I have recently noticed that the rooster seems to keep the older hens up on their roosts, chases them away from the feed and otherwise harrasses them. I don't know if the hens are getting to eat and I'm worried. They haven't laid in about 1 month (of course we have had 95 - 100 degree heat here in Texas). The young RIR hen follows
her rooster around - he doesn't harrass her, he allows her to feed, and of course, she is laying.

Is this normal behavior - setting the pecking order? Or do I have a problem?

Thanks,

He's asserting his dominance over the older hens, but when they get really hungry they will challenge him - this will lead to defining who is the lead or Alpha hen.

They'll work it out and become a happy flock.

Your older hens won't let him bully them to the point of starvation.

Thanks for your answer. I won't worry about my "babies"
smile.png

sorry to jump in but I have a related question. My dominate roo definately has a favorite and follows her around, if the others get out but he stays in (long story, he does go out sometimes) hes almost frantic to get back to her. She crouches down to me and if i pick her up he follows me. But they have together chased me which I wont let them do, Im boss. Is this normal to have 1 favorite? Will he come around to the other girls?

It is normal for a roo to have 1-5 favorites.

over time the favorites can change also, a hen being followed now may not be the hen he follows in say another 6 months.

I have 18 hens in my main laying flock and you can tell right away that he has 5 favorites from the missing back feathers.

My white leghorn used to be his absolute favorite, her back never had feathers, but now all her feathers are grown back in.

I have no idea why this change occurred, she hasn't had any injuries, no change at all to her, just not his favorite anymore.

Sounds like high school!!

We have a young acquaintance who struts around, leers at the girls and crows about his accomplishments. . . at the bowling alley. We call him "Rooster Boy" . . . Even walks with the head jerk and swagger. . . a bit of a dim bulb, too, so it all fits. . .

Just an update on the rooster situation. The alpha hen has emerged, the roo always the other hens to eat side by side with him. The little RIR is still the only layer, I'm hoping now that things have settled down, the older hens will lay again. And I think we have an omega hen.

Back
Top Bottom