Rooster Behavior

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LewisFamily, Jan 22, 2014.

1. LewisFamily

LewisFamily Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2013
    Hawkins, Texas
    So about a month ago I got a rooster. So far so good. Stays with the girls, protects them, does everything I think a good rooster should do. One question though. They have free access to lay pellets all day, as well as full free range. Once a day I go out and spread a little (but enough for all of them) hen scratch. All the hens go berserk, and that's where my question comes in. The rooster will crow and crow and the stragglers will come in to eat, but he will start to peck at certain ones and run them off to a different part of the feeding line (I lay the feed in a line). Is this his way of keeping control?

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    It's all a part of the pecking order. It makes sense to them, even if we mere humans don't get it.

3. LewisFamily

Aug 26, 2013
    Hawkins, Texas
    Roger that. Thank you. Just wanted to make sure he wasn't being overly aggressive.

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I think as long as he's not beating them up or drawing blood, it's just his way of reminding them of their place in the flock.

5. LewisFamily

Aug 26, 2013
    Hawkins, Texas
    Thanks so much! He doesnt draw blood ever, and doesnt hunt them down after he pecks them. Just seems a little odd cause I though he would want them to eat. But as stated, I will probably never understand. I don't have feathers and a beak lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by