rooster behavior

Mr. Frizzles Hen House

Songster
11 Years
Oct 9, 2008
Seabeck, Washington
Hi. I'm a newbe, so this may be a silly question. I have 10 chickens which are now 20 weeks old. 9 are hens and are still holding out on the eggs, but I'm patiently waiting. My question is regarding my frizzle rooster. All used to be in a pile/nest on the floor by the door at bed time when I would close them in their coop. Since the weather is getting colder, the hens get up on the roost while Mr. Frizzle is on the ground by himself. Do roosters roost? Is he gaurding till I close them in? I've never seenhim up high.

Hii! I'm new too, and can't help much. That does seem pretty odd though, hopefully someone will come by and teach us

Roosters roost. At least mine did. He'll soon join his girs on the roost.. You know, guys are always slower than women in figuring these things out!
gig.gif

Mr. Frizzles Hen House :

Hi. I'm a newbe, so this may be a silly question. I have 10 chickens which are now 20 weeks old. 9 are hens and are still holding out on the eggs, but I'm patiently waiting. My question is regarding my frizzle rooster. All used to be in a pile/nest on the floor by the door at bed time when I would close them in their coop. Since the weather is getting colder, the hens get up on the roost while Mr. Frizzle is on the ground by himself. Do roosters roost? Is he gaurding till I close them in? I've never seenhim up high.

Yes all birds roost including the roosters.try to go back when it is a little dark and take a look,I am sure he will be up on th roost with the rest.​

Thanks for the replys! They all get tucked in after it's gotten dark (I go back out after I get my kids to bed). He must be the last up, first down. Can they see well in the dark to get up so high after dusk. The roost is about five feet off the ground. I'm tempted to get a nanny cam off of eBay, I'm so curious as to what they do in there:)

Back
Top Bottom