Rooster being mean or trying to mate?

myfivehens

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 7, 2013
I have a bantam D'uccle rooster, not sure exactly the age but he's been crowing for about a month now. Anyways, today when they were out in the yard he seemed to be getting aggressive with our 17 week old buff orpingtons. He was grabbing their side feathers like he was trying to get a hold of them and one time he grabbed one by her beak and wouldn't let her go! Is he just being aggressive or is he trying to mate with these girls?

Last edited:
I have a bantam rooster that always tries to attack every smaller bird does not matter the sex when i put them in a pen together.

It sounds to me like he wants to mate with them. I'm sure your bantam is much smaller than the orpington ladies, and it is hard for him to get ahold of them the proper way. (which would be by grabbing the neck feathers) If he is displaying any sort of mating ritual like dropping his wing, and dancing for them, that is what he wants!

Thanks everyone! I'm pretty sure he is trying to mate. He's not typically aggressive and he doesn't go after our 9 week old girls at all. Today I saw him chase one of the big girls around and this time he did grab her neck feathers :p

Back
Top Bottom