Rooster being mean to one hen only

MarkJr

Free Ranging
Jun 15, 2020
My rooster/cockerel is great in every way except..... the old hen. He keeps bloodying her comb. He gets near and she's very flighty keeping away from her. Her eggs are still infertile, so I know when he actually does mount her, it's very much against her will. Last couple weeks they've actually begun fighting. He comes at her feet first and she likewise defends.

Today I find her like this.
20210125_143715.jpg

She's my broody. The 8 pullets she raised (22 weeks old) squat for him. Go running when called. He's a perfect gentleman. He stays well away from us humans. Alarms and watches like a champ.

How do I get these two to get along? I've separated him for 4 full days last week. OK yesterday (she avoided him) and a little scuffle Saturday.

At this point, my broody hen by far is more important. Is stew pot the answer?

Yikes!
Hard to say what to do.
How old are they both, in months?
How long have they lived together?
Are there other males around?

I doubt it's gonna stop until one submits...you could try trimming his claws and spurs to help avoid these kind of injuries until they figure things out. I've never trimmed a beak, so I don't know about that part.

Rooster/cockerel is 11 or 12 months old. Got him in July. He was born 'this winter

Hen is 3+ Years old. She is of my original flock I adopted 2 years ago. She had spurs since I've owned her.

8 pullets 22 weeks old.

Coop 7x7 with 14' of roost. Run is 8x12. Most time they free range.

Rooster/cockerel is 11 or 12 months old. Got him in July. He was born 'this winter

Hen is 3+ Years old. She is of my original flock I adopted 2 years ago. She had spurs since I've owned her.

8 pullets 22 weeks old.

Coop 7x7 with 14' of roost. Run is 8x12. Most time they free range.
Has she ever been around a male?
Guessing she was top bird and will not succumb to the male.

Has she ever been around a male?
Guessing she was top bird and will not succumb to the male.
She was around a male about 1.5 years ago. He died. I've been through 5 more since then (freezer camp is a short route for cockerels) This one has been perfect until I gave supplement lighting at Christmas time. Since then..... just these two won't get along.

I think the injuries are from the bugger using her large floppy comb as a handle to pin her down.

You're probably right. I wonder if they make cones of shame for chickens? I kid, I kid

Do you have a cage that you could sit with them where you could put your rooster or your hen, whichever one you want to fall lower in the pecking order? It seems to work pretty well for me when I have someone being a bully. They don't like being able to see their flock mates but not join them.

I use a regular old dog crate for it.

Back
Top Bottom