Rooster being mean to one hen only

She was around a male about 1.5 years ago. He died. I've been through 5 more since then (freezer camp is a short route for cockerels) This one has been perfect until I gave supplement lighting at Christmas time. Since then..... just these two won't get along.

Wait, they started after you supplemented the light? Are you still supplementing it? Sometimes it makes chickens act weird if it's cutting into their rest time.

You're probably right. I wonder if they make cones of shame for chickens? I kid, I kid

Do you have a cage that you could sit with them where you could put your rooster or your hen, whichever one you want to fall lower in the pecking order? It seems to work pretty well for me when I have someone being a bully. They don't like being able to see their flock mates but not join them.

I use a regular old dog crate for it.
Did this 4 days last week.

I saw you separated, I didn't know you did it where they could still see each other. I guess I should have asked about your methods! I hope you figure it out. I know a good rooster is hard to come by, but the failed ones do make good eating.
6lb 7oz carcass. He can chill out a few days then I'll fix him up a nice bath. Bloodied her again while I was typing.....

Back
Top Bottom