Rooster bit me...

I think you did the right thing. He was just scared and he must not know that you would not hurt "his" girls. He sounds like he's stressed. They should calm down in a few days.

I never thought he could have been upset by the whole snow/coop situation. I feel bad for swatting him but he has to know he can't bite me.
sad.png
He's a very good rooster and I like him well enough. Tomorrow I will try to clear more snow while they are still in the coop. Maybe they will think I'm less evil then.

Oh... and I haven't picked up Bill since he was just a pullet. Had some bad experiences with roosters and now I'm scared to. Only one of my hens lets me pick her up on a regular basis and quite frankly I think she might be a little mentally handicapped.

Today I saw her scratching in a nesting box for food. There has never been food in the nesting boxes...

I've heard of mean roos, had one myself, a little banty. He would attack me at dusk (maybe he had eyesight problems?) but the big Cockerel, "Sargent Pepper" always came over and told the little guy off. Sarge is a bit stand-offish, but protects his girls and "ME" too! Love that boy!

I have no idea why he's such a good boy - he was a naturally raised chicken, his momma trained them all very well. He has had little human handling, but he's very respectful of humans, and he's a gentleman to his girls.

I won't have a mean roo - if he's mean to me, he may be mean to them. I got rid of the "rapist" bird 2 weeks ago. He would hide behind the tractor and jump out on hens as they strolled by. Poor Sarge had such a time trying to be everywhere protecting them.

Kathy - waiting for the hatch - 1 day to go!

A few years ago when my DH lived in this house without me, he had a mixed flock. He hatched out a mix between a leghorn and RIR. We thought this bird was a girl... brought it outside to be with the hens and he started mounting them! He used to sneak attack the hens... he'd get up on rocks and as they were walking by he'd jump on them and give them lots of chicken nookie. He was the best rooster in the whole entire world. His name was Baby and you could call him and he would come to you! He'd run right to you with his wings out. Once when I was visiting my mother stopped by and I called Baby, he ran to us, then he perched on my arm like a parrot. He was spoiled rotten, he thought he could be like a parrot and sit on you all day and receive treats.
sad.png
Too bad a fox got him. I know good roosters exist, due to Baby I just hope my Bill is a good one. Obviously he isn't loving like baby but we raised baby by himself.

Every roo that's messed with me got foot up his toosh.... and that was usually enough.

If they even thought of messing with my daughter....

... they no longer exist!

Last edited:
I just thought I'd update this. The weather has been much warmer and the past two days Bill has taken his ladies out and they found bare patches of ground and scratched around there. Today though he seems to have warmed up to me again. To try to win his trust I brought out some quiche I made that my guest picked at but barely touched. I broke it up and gave him the pieces and he gave them to the hens. He seemed pleased and was willing to get close to me and take things off the plate. He also didn't get angry when I picked up my favourite hen, the only one who lets me hold her, B.B. She doesn't make much noises when I pick her up so that helps. She gets squirmy though.

However the poor things haven't dust bathed in a week and they are filthy
tongue.png
No wonder they're so cranky. I'm going to clear a place of snow, dig it up and pour some ash in there and see if they like it. Their usual spot is mud now
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom